Top 10 Movies to watch to be successful in senior year

Cole LaCroix, Op/Ed Editor

Senior year, the year where everything comes down to the classes you have and have taken before. Many students go into different classes yet they know nothing about that class so why not help them. Movies are a great way to put a point across to the watchers so why not make a list of movies that well help the students in senior year. Here are the top ten movies to watch to be successful in senior year.

1: Independents Day (1996) is Written and co-directed by Roland Emmerich  it is a movie about survivors of a alien invasion on earth  they with the help of other survivors launch a last-ditch attack on the aliens on July 4 – the same day that the US got their Independence from Britain. The class this movie is good for is not only science but also American civics seeing as it shows different forms of government.

2: Chariots of Fire (1981) directed by Hugh Hudson  and is a historical drama film. It’s a true story about two athletes in the 1924 Olympics: Eric Liddell, is a man who is running for his religion, and Harold Abrahams, who is a English Jew  running to end the prejudice about the Jewish. This movie is useful when in any form of PE seeing as it shows running long distances.

3: The Imitation Game (2014) directed by Morten Tyldum  tells the story about a group of mathematicians and code breakers trying to learn and break the Nazi code using a new machine called the enigma machine. this movie is useful in math seeing as it has a lot of math and equations.

4: Back to the Future (1985) directed by Robert Zemecki. is about a teenager named Marty McFly, who after watching is mentor die travels back in time to 1955. Where he not only meets but ended up having his future mother fall in love with him. Marty’s mentor is the scientist Dr. Emmett “Doc” who helps him repair the damage to history by helping  get his parents to fall in love with one another. However, Marty and Doc also has to find a way to return Marty to 1985. This movie helps those in a science class because it has the time travel theory and chemistry in it.

5: Spare Parts (2015) directed by Sean McNamara is about a group of students who mainly comes from a Latino high school, who won first place over another group that came from the famous  M.I.T.  in the  2004 MATE ROV  an event about robots that can operate under water. This movie helps those in any engineering class thanks to the tech talk.

6: Kirikou (1998) written and directed by Michel Ocelot. created in the era of pre-colonial  Africa, it depicts a recent boy, named  Kirikou who when born could walk and talk like a full grown man, he takes it upon himself to saves his village from Karaba and witch who becomes evil from a thorn. This movie is good for a French class however this movie does depict nudity seeing as it is in the pre-colonial Africa.

7: Saving Private Ryan (1998) Directed by Steven Spielberg.  the movie depicts a squad of soldiers that after landing on Omaha beach during D-day. They go out into France and search for a private who is the last of a trio of siblings. Throughout the movie each member of the squad dies and at the end only one survivor the captain. This movie is great for history classes as it depicts not only war but also what men went through during D-day and all of France.

8: Apollo 18 (2011) directed by Gonzalo López-Gallego is a science fiction horror movie. The movie explains about the failed Apollo 18 mission that the astronauts when they landed on the moon were never heard from again thanks to being attacked by what appeared to be space crabs.  And as a result, NASA  never launched another mission to the Moon. This movie fits in with science classes with its space flight information and theory of life in space.

9: We Were Soldiers (2002) is a movie that dramatizes the Battle of Ia Drang.  The film was directed by Randall Wallace and stars Mel Gibson. It shows the violent and cruel combat that was very common during the Vietnam war. The movie shows both the American and the VC soldiers during the battle and what they are thinking about. This movie is great for history when getting to the cold war and Vietnam.

10: Unbroken (2014) The movie is a true story about Louis “Louie” Zamperini a gold medalist that played in the Olympics before going into the military during the world war 2 era. After being shot down in his bomber into the sea surviving for 49 days. He is captured and taken to a Japanese prison camp where he is treated like a slave and the Japanese try and break his hope and spirit about the USA. This movie is great for not only history but for PE it not only depicts World War II but also the Olympics.

These are the top 10 movies a student should watch to be successful during senior year and beyond high school. always be ready for a movie to watch to help learn about anything as long as its a true story.