Welcome Back Dr. Torres!

Heidy Sanchez, Staff Writer

As many students may know there’s a new principal at Santiago High school but who is this person you may ask, well if you want to learn more of  Dr. Torres these were some questions of which he replied to in an interview.

Tell me about when you began at Santiago?

“I was the Assistant Principal at Santiago High School for 10 years. From September of 2006-June of 2016. I then became the Principal at Orange Grove High School for 4 ½ years. I was named the Principal at Santiago High School on November 10th. I am so excited to be back.”

Why were you interested in becoming a principal at Santiago High School?

“I am honored to be the Principal of Santiago High School. I firmly believe that we are one of the Best High Schools in Southern California.  We have a combination of great students, great parents, and a great staff. That combination creates an environment of learning and excellence.  I have the opportunity to work with the best students in the world. I can’t wait until students respond to campus.”

What is the main thing you plan on improving at this school and why?

“I want to create the best 4-year experience for students.  I want students to graduate from Santiago prepared to enter their next chapter of life, whether it’s college, career, or the workforce, with the best skills to be the best. My plan is to create a learning environment where students become leaders and well-equipped to face life’s challenges along the way.”

What are your hobbies or what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

“I love spending time with my two daughters, Bella just graduated from Santiago High School and is a freshman in college, and Ava, who will be a junior at Santiago next year.  Also, I love sports. Any ball in the air is good for me.  I love to travel and experience new things.  I LOVE Country Music and hope to attend live concerts again soon.”

What are your expectations for students other than regular school rules?

“I want our students to be cognizant that they are SHARKS at all times and that they represent something bigger than themselves.  They represent two families. Their own family and the Shark family. You always want to hold your family in high regard, so that is my desire for our Shark students. Protect the family, make great decisions, and show respect for themselves and their family.”

What’s the best thing about being a Shark?

“The BEST thing about being a SHARK is that I get to be apart of an organization with phenomenal students and great people altogether.  The SHARK family is very important to me, and I am blessed to be the leader of this family.”

Hopefully, this answered some concerns or questions you had about our new principal at Santiago High School.  This is a great school and deserves a wonderful principal.  We all hope to make you proud Dr. Torres and GO SHARKS!