Meet Santiago Baseball’s Leaders

Diego Tolossa, Staff Writer

Senior Micheal Padilla and Nick Lewis from the Santiago high school’s baseball team are leaders and role models for underclassmen.  It’s their final year before they go off into the real world with real responsibilities. But with that being said, I thought an interview with them on their thoughts regarding their last and final High School baseball year would be a perfect fit.

Here are some questions and their responses. 

What scholarships did you receive and which one did you accept?

Michael – “I received one scholarship from Azusa pacific university and I loved the school, coaches, and facilities. I accepted it and about a month later my cousin also accepted an offer to Apu so I look forward to rooming with him and playing baseball with him again!”

Nick- “ I received one scholarship offer from LMU and accepted it. “

As you can see, these two fantastic baseball players are already committed to amazing schools and are not ending their baseball careers at Santiago.

How do you plan on kicking off the baseball season?

Nick-  “By creating good chemistry and a bond within our team as well as giving everything I have this year”

How do you feel about it being your last season at Santiago?

Michael- “Definitely going to miss high school baseball, I wouldn’t trade my years here at Santiago for anything. I loved the bonds I made with some amazing people and was fortunate to have had some good people to learn from and guide me. It’s more than just a team at Santiago, it’s a family and I was lucky enough to be a part of such a great one. Excited for one last final ride with my brothers!”

Nick-“I feel grateful for the past couple of years and the opportunities that have come with my time in the program. I am excited to end my Santiago career with this group of guys and go as far as we can.”

If you ever want to feel at home even when you’re away, Santiago is a place to be. Creating bonds and connections with people always helps!

What are your senior plans and how do you want to end your senior year?

Michael- “I plan on spending as much time with my friends because I know after high school it is gonna be difficult to see them as we all go our separate ways. “I want to end my senior year off with a CIF title, I want to play as long as I can with my best friends.”

With this being their final year here I would like to thank both of them for taking the time to talk to me and making me feel welcome at Santiago even with the new territory. I wish them both the best in their future and in their baseball careers.