March 21, 2024
March 21, 2024
Dominic Klemczak, Comic Illustrator • March 21, 2024
March 13, 2024
March 13, 2024
Dominic Klemczak, Comic Illustrator • March 20, 2024
Why is passing period 8 minutes?
Why is passing period 8 minutes?
Jaelynn Tagle, Staff Writer • March 11, 2024

Top Ten Books Every High School Student Should Read

1 The Lord of the Rings
The classic that has inspired millions is a must read for every student. The story is so great that it was made into 3 live action movies and 2 animated films. Some may wonder why should they read a gigantic book when they can they can just watch the magical movies. The reason why you should read the original source material is because the books capture every experience while the movies leave out or skips over material. If you love theses characters wouldn’t you want to read more of their journeys and adventures.

2 The Harry Potter Series
Be enchanted by the magical and unbelievable world of Harry Potter. Read the adventures of Harry, Hermione, and Ron as they try to defeat the evil Lord Voldemort. Lose your self in the halls of Hogwarts and find your adventurous side. Now you can be hypnotized in front of a TV screen for a day or you can be there right next to Harry, fighting side by side with him, uncovering clues with him, and being along for the journey. Why watch a movie when you can experience the book.

3 The Count of Monte Cristo
Most if not everyone has been bullied in someway or form and dream of having their revenge against their transgressors. But most don’t they keep their revenge fantasy just fantasies. The very few that do act out their revenge schemes aren’t seen as the heroes that they believe them selves to be. So instead of becoming a villain read the classic tales of The Count of Monte Cristo. Read the tales of a man hell bent on seeking out and destroying all those who ruined his life.

4 The Alchemist
The Alchemist is not just a story of finding and discovering the world you live in but also a journey of finding out who you really are. Go on an adventure with Santiago in search for a hidden treasure. Be inspired to follow your dreams and come into your own. Definitely one of the best coming of age stories that has ever been made that is a delight to read. Overall just an outstanding story that should be read by all.

5 The Full Works of Edgar Allan Poe
If you’re a fan of dark literature then Edgar Allen Poe is most definitely the author for you. His writing will completely over whelm you, dragging you deeper and deeper down into an endless abyss. Now you might think “why would want to fall down in to darkness?” Well why not. Every story every poem written by Edgar Allan Poe is a work of art, a looking glass that doesn’t just look into his soul but also the readers as well.

6 I Hate Myself
A book written by a somewhat famous Youtuber, Shane Dawson has elegantly put his unique form of comedy into book form for all to read. A book composed of short stories based off of his time during high school. A book show casing all the trials and tribulations of being a high school student but given a little twist of humor and a little twist of unimaginable circumstances that wouldn’t be seen in everyday high school life. Imagine the typical high school movie kids are singing, the quarterbacks are getting the girls, and everything is perfect. Now imagine all of that being thrown away by an over weight freshman who is really living high school. Trying to avoid bullies, trying to find love, and just trying to survive in this crazy place where we come to learn.

7 The Hobbit
Another book that takes place in Middle Earth. Happening 70 years before The Lord of the Rings, this story follows Bilbo Baggins a young Hobbit who is in everyway content with his boring life, until a gray old wizard stops bye to whisk him off on an unexpected adventure. The reason why this book is perfect for high school students is because it’s short, it’s not too complex, and because it tells the story that no matter how small you may be you can still make a big difference.

8 Dracula
The original story of the true King of Darkness Dracula, instead of watching and reading all the weaker portrayals of the Son of the Dragon you should read the original. Learn where the legend began and what a real monster is with this amazing classic story. If you love intense suspenseful moments keeping you at the edge of your seat with each page drawing you in closer and closer than this is the book for you.

9 The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and The Heroes of Olympus series
Do you like Greek myths but cant be bothered with the boring pointless dialog and stories well then I have the series for you. Taking place in modern day times follow the adventures and quests of Percy Jackson and his friends. A series that captures the tones and themes of the great Greek Myths of old while also putting its own self-aware humor that will make you laugh your socks off. Then after you’re done reading the epic journeys of Percy and his fight against the old Titans read the sequel series The Heroes of Olympus. Which is filled with mystery and epic action. Putting you right in the middle of it making you feel as if you were right there with them. So if want to have a fun time learning about the Greek gods then these are books for you.

10 The Lord of the Flies
A book telling the true nature of man and just how fast man can revert back into animals. A truly fantastic story of boys being left on an abandoned island and having to fend for themselves. A rift that transpires in the story that doesn’t just put the boys into two groups but the readers as well. The true colors of mans heart has never been brought out so perfectly before. Never has the evil of all evils been shown in such a fashion that still sends shivers down my spine. This book is a must read for all those who dare to challenge the animalist nature of the human being.