Shark Stories: Coach Ford

Shark Stories: Coach Ford

Cassandra Semaan, Staff Writer

Coach Ford is Santiago High’s head basketball coach. He’s been teaching high school sports’ since 2002. Growing up in Los Angeles, California, he looked up to Muhammad Ali and Magic Johnson, aspiring to be as famous as they were. His favorite sport is football, and the Dallas Cowboys are his favorite sports team. After graduating from Northwest Nazarene College in Nampa, Idaho with a B.A. in social work, he moved on to MA Sports Management program in the University of San Francisco 2002, and continued to earn his credential in PE at National University. Basketball has been a part of his life ever since he was a kid. His best was 38 points in a game. Unfortunately, due to his injuries, he wasn’t able to go pro. He fueled his competitive fire as a summer intern at the Beverly Hills based Sports and Marketing Agency, where he learned contracts, marketing strategies, on had amazing opportunities to work on NBA/WNBA contracts. He started his teaching career at Manual Arts High School in Los Angeles and worked there for 11 years. He spent his last year in Los Angeles as Athletic Director at Augustus Hawkins High School before gaining employment at Santiago. He also has a Masters in Sports Management.