Shark Stories: Marilyn Martinez (11)

Processed with VSCO with m5 preset

Zion Igwe, Writer

Marilyn Martinez

Ever wondered what it takes to become a basketball prodigy? Meet Marilyn Martinez, the girl who has all the answers to this question. Marilyn is currently a Santiago High School Junior who is a JV basketball player. I recently had the honor of interviewing her on the prerequisites of being a part of such an inspirational team. I asked the following questions throughout the duration of the interview just to garner a glimpse of the athletic life of Santiago:

What made you decide to play basketball for Santiago?

“I first played basketball in private school in which only provided us volleyball and basketball. I loved to run so I decided to continue my career in high school.”

How long have you played basketball for and why?

“I’ve been playing since 5th grade. I wanted to get more active physically and become a lot more involved with school events.”

What was your best memory in this sport?

“The last basketball game because there were a lot of injuries on both sides. The team improved which allowed us to win. That team is like my family and that was the last time that I would be with all of them. Also, I made like 12 points too and got a few fast breaks which made the game more fun.”

How would you describe this sport to a person that hasn’t played before?

“This sport involves a lot of running and physical contact. It also makes you really sweaty because you’re constantly moving up and down the court. You have to be really concentrated too so your shots can be accurate.”

What happened at the last game and how did it make you feel?

“We beat Corona’s JV team to end the season strong which made me feel amazing. It was the best game ever. The final score was 39 to 23. We couldn’t have done it with our great teamwork and strong mentality. Both of these caused our team to improve and become what it is now.”

Evidently, girl’s basketball is an exciting sport due to the effort and skill that it requires just to play against a team. This sport is also purely team driven in which provides the audience with excitement as well due to the fact that the team leaders must strategize effectively in order to beat their opponents. This high school sport provides a recreational yet rigorous break from reality in which portrays this activity as a method to develop and improve trustworthiness with others amongst other things.