The Yemeni Problem
The Yemeni Problem
Kingston Holcomb, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Jaden Meyer, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
NorthWood Space website
TV Actress now a Tech CEO
Anthony Perez, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

SAG Awards 2024 Recap

The 30th Screen Actors Guild Award show on February 24 brought home accolades, fashion, and embarrassing moments

On February 24th, the SAG Awards highlighted last year’s outstanding performances in a movie or prime-time television. The award show is hosted by the Screen Actor’s Guild, a labor union that represents over 100,000 film and television performers worldwide. SAG had an event last year, as they were on strike. The union was on strike due to a labor dispute between AMPTP which resulted in the loss of 45,000 jobs. The strike caused the biggest interruption to the American film industry since COVID-19. After creating an agreement between both parties on December 5, television movie production resumed, and now their hard work during the strike has finally paid off. 

SAG-AFTRA Strike of 2023
Ayo Edebiri and Jeremy Allen White at the SAG Awards 2024

The FX original The Bear went home with many accolades. The winning show follows award-winning chef Carmen Berzatto, who takes over his brother’s local sandwich shop. The Bear left with an “Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series”,  “Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series”, and “Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series”, won by Jeremy Allen White and Ayo Edeberi”. Edeberi has had an amazing season with The Bear, as she has won a Critic’s Choice Award, an Emmy, a Golden Globes award, and a Film Independent Spirit award.  I’m looking out at this room of people whose work moves me and motivates me, and I’m just so grateful to be here,” Ayo said while accepting her trophy on stage that night.

Ali Wong and Steven Yeun at the Golden Globe Awards 2024

Ali Wong and Steven Yeun from Netflix’s BEEF won “Outstanding Performance by a Male/Female Actor in A Television/ Limited Series”. BEEF has also received many accolades, from Emmy and Golden Globe Awards to Critics Choice Awards. Everyone was talking about the limited series in April of last year. BEEF took pop culture by storm last year, captivating us with the story of how road rage can bring out the worst in people, even if it is at the stake of others. The win for Ali Wong was a sentimental moment, as the SAG Awards were being hosted on Netflix, the streaming service where BEEF was on, and where her Stand specials, Hard Knock Wife, Don Wong, and Baby Cobra are available. 

2023’s biggest heartthrob, Pedro Pascal, was awarded for Male Actor in a Drama Series thanks to his role as Joel in The Last Of Us. While receiving the award, Pascal wasn’t necessarily sober up stage. The actor admitted he thought he could get drunk that night, assuming he wouldn’t win a prize after Succession won multiple accolades earlier that year. Pascal admitted, “This is wrong for so many reasons… I’m a little drunk. I thought I could get drunk. I’m making a fool of myself but thank you so much for this! I’ve been in the union since 1999 so this is an incredible f—g honor. To the nominees, all of you, I can’t remember any of your names right now.” This hasn’t been the only memorable moment for the actor at award shows. Pascal joked about the shoulder injury he had during the 2023 Emmys. He remarked that his recent injury was because “Keiran Culkan beat the shit out of me.” Pascal attended the event in an arm sling.

Pedro Pascal at the SAG Awards 2024

While the SAG Awards don’t warrant as much red carpet attention as the Oscars or Golden Globes, some stylish moments were still seen.

Fashion from the SAG Awards 2024

Ali Wong wore a showstopping gown dripping in diamond-shaped details. Buzzfeed compared her dress to a peacock or a weeping willow. The Iris Van Herpen garment includes removable pieces so she could move freely during the ceremony.

Halle Bailey (2024)

Halle Bailey served a plum-colored nude illusion dress with a gorgeous mermaid shape made of tool. The gown was made by Dolce and Gabbana. The Singer and Songwriter, has also appeared in multiple films such as The Little Mermaid reboot and The Color Purple.

Margot Robbie (2024)

Margot Robbie continued her winning streak with another Barbie Look. Her Schiaparelli couture gown with a bright pink shoulder accent. She styled the look with black pumps and almost 100 carats of Lorraine Schwartz jewels including a 30-carat diamond ankle bracelet.