The Yemeni Problem
The Yemeni Problem
Kingston Holcomb, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Jaden Meyer, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
NorthWood Space website
TV Actress now a Tech CEO
Anthony Perez, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

Dumpster Diving: Gross or Beneficial?

Dumpster diving

The act of salvaging discarded items from dumpsters, has long been a controversial practice. Some might find it unappealing or unsanitary, while others see it as an opportunity to reduce waste and find useful items. The benefits of dumpster diving exist, but due to its growing popularity, it also has downfalls.

Benefits

The many benefits of dumpster diving include, first, waste reduction. By rescuing items that would otherwise end up in landfills, dumpster divers contribute to a more sustainable environment. Which gives this practice the potential to reduce waste. Arcannwaste.com makes a great point that “Participating in dumpster diving contributes to maintaining the cleanliness of our surroundings by reducing the volume of waste we produce. This not only results in fresher air, enhancing the overall environment for everyone but also creates a more positive atmosphere in the nearby vicinity.”. This supports the fact that dumpster diving is greatly beneficial to the environment. 

The website also includes how “With a decrease in litter, the entire area immediately becomes more appealing and inviting. Therefore, by engaging in dumpster diving, you’re not only playing a role in preserving a cleaner planet but also fostering a friendlier and healthier neighborhood ambiance!”. Dumpster diving is doing a favor to the world, even if some think that this practice is gross, or unsanitary, in reality, it’s healthy for the world. 

Dumpster diving can also be a way to find perfectly usable items for free. From furniture to clothing, electronics to books, divers often uncover treasures that are still in good condition. This resourcefulness not only saves money but also promotes a more sustainable lifestyle.

Legal Status

Some might ask or question if dumpster diving is even legal since many times, people tend to call the police on dumpster divers. According to the law of California, yes, dumpster diving is legal in California as long as the dumpster is in a public area and the items being taken are not considered private property. This means that yes, dumpster diving is legal if the trashcans/dumpsters are in public spaces, out of private property.

Even if dumpster diving is considered legal, there are some legal concerns because it is not as normalized. Dumpster diving can be legally ambiguous in some areas. While it is generally legal to salvage discarded items, trespassing on private property or interfering with dumpsters owned by businesses can lead to legal consequences. Divers need to be aware of local laws and regulations.

Disadvantages

Although there are plenty of benefits of dumpster diving, there are always downfalls. A major downfall to dumpster diving is its health and safety risks. Dumpster diving involves coming into contact with potentially hazardous materials, such as broken glass, sharp objects, or expired foods. There’s also a risk of encountering pests or encountering sanitary conditions. Divers must exercise caution and take appropriate safety measures. With these health and safety concerns, they could lead to diseases, parasites, etc. 

Social Media

The practice of dumpster diving has been getting popular lately on social media and especially YouTube. The YouTuber, GlamourDDive has gotten popular from her finds from the Apple store, higher-end designer stores, and cosmetic stores. She finds good products from dumps and sells them online for cheap, which is a really good way to reduce waste.