The Yemeni Problem
The Yemeni Problem
Kingston Holcomb, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Jaden Meyer, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
NorthWood Space website
TV Actress now a Tech CEO
Anthony Perez, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

Sharks’ Soccer Team Loses in Quarter Finals

Sharks+Soccer+Team+Loses+in+Quarter+Finals+

Monday, March 3, the Santiago Sharks took on the Mira Costa Mustangs in the CIF quarter finals for girls’ soccer.  Although the game ended with a 0-2 loss for the Sharks, they put up a fight until the last minutes of the game.

The game started out with a direct kick for the Mustangs, given to them due to a call on the Sharks for tripping an opposing player.  Following this call, Mira Costa saw the opportunity for a shot on goal and took it, only to be stopped by SHS goalie, Paige Simoneau (11).

The first half continued with both teams fighting to break the tie, and concluded with a score of 0-0.

At the start of the second half, both teams came out strong, but the Mustangs earned the first goal of the game only one minute in.  The Sharks then took a few shots on goal, but all of them were blocked by the Mustangs’ goalie.

20 more minutes into the second half of the game, the Mustangs had a breakaway and got past the Sharks’ defense. The Mustang player took a shot on goal successfully, changing the score to 2-0.

“I think the girls are putting up a good fight, but this is CIF’s and at this point of the season, you need to be the best of the best,” said freshman soccer played Olivia Nelson .

Alyssa Alvarez (11)  set up a play in front of the goal by passing the ball to Maddy Haro (11) who then took a shot on goal, but the ball went over the goal by about half-a-foot.  Both teams fought for the ball in front of Mira Costa’s goal, until it was kicked out by the Mustangs.  SHS player Katie Jones (10) took the corner kick, and even though her teammate had a shot on goal, the ball went over the net.

With two minutes to spare in the game, Alvarez was yellow carded for running into the Mustangs goalie.

The Sharks fought hard but the game ended with a win for the mustangs 2-0.

“Even though we lost, I still think the girls tried their hardest, and Santiago will always be one of the best soccer programs,” said Ryann Loyd (9).