Are AP Language Arts Shark Shoutouts Degrading To Students?

Arsalan Muzaffer, Writer

As most of Santiago knows, the AP shark shoutouts are rewarded to those who receive the score of a seven, an eight, or a nine on a timed boot camp essay. Physically, the AP Shark Shoutouts are a small piece of cardstock cut in the shape of a shouting speech bubble. On the piece of card-stock, is written the name and the score of the individual who have earned their seven, eight, or nine, and it is announced to the class when someone is receiving a shoutout, and they are bombarded with applause, and the shoutout is stapled onto a wall designated for these shoutouts. These essays are not to be taken lightly, they can be extremely difficult varying on the prompt and in fact are already considered extremely difficult due to their complex structure and prose. So, because they are regarded as so difficult, the AP Language Arts teachers had decided it would be a kind gesture to reward the students who do receive such high scores, which is completely understandable! However, did they take the students who do not receive such scores into consideration or about certain teachers who grade unjustly?

I believe the AP Shark Shoutouts transform the classroom environment into a brutal competition, and it should not be that way. The classroom environment should be a place where everyone has equal opportunity and is treated no differently because of the grades they receive. The classroom should not become a place where the drive of students who are trying to improve their scores, is being eroded due to the repetition of the same students constantly being publicly rewarded on a weekly basis, and yes, the boot camp essays are every week. It extends beyond the classroom as well, when students discuss their scores among each other, comparing a number of shoutouts they have and often boasting about their scores, it absolutely kills the students who have not yet earned such scores. These shoutouts may seem harmless and kind, but consider the other side of the spectrum and anyone can see that these shoutouts degrade students, to a major extent.