Generation After Generation – Pt.2

Generation After Generation - Pt.2

Kaitlyn Glass, Editor in Chief

Last time, I wrote about how each year of incoming freshman seems to get worse in maturity and how any student born after 2000 is concerning in this day and age. This time, I have another perspective for you – the more technology evolves, the more society devolves.

As of right now, we have robots traveling across the United States and self-driving cars. Both things were only a thought at the beginning of the new year. At the same time, we have a society that needs “trigger warnings” before everything they read or see and they believe making their own food is the biggest struggle known to mankind (trust me, I’ve heard this on multiple occasions).

Our phones do everything for us…they can turn on our lights, be unlocked with a selfie and/or fingerprint, google anything with a click of a button, and take pictures that are clearer than if they were taken from an actual DSLR. Schools might as well have a photography class based on a phone camera, which I have no doubt there isn’t already. None of these features are new, but just think about it. Schools have lowered their standards more and more just so that kids can actually make it somewhere in life. Print and publishing have been out of demand for years while kids are encouraged to study business and engineering to help further these prospects.

Kids, and even adults, are constantly looking down at there phone screens playing games and reading from tiny letters. I grew up with a bookshelf completely filled with board games to keep me busy. Now you can play games with friends and read books on your phones. I would pull out my big bucket of Barbies and Legos and make up scenarios. Now, there are simulation apps that do these things for you. The “good old days” have been replaced by little glowing screens that suck in person after person into a brand new reality that they have created for themselves. The less social you are means you are actually majorly social and the more social you are, the less friends you have…exactly…what?