A Weekend to Change a Life: The Rotary Youth Leadership Awards

Zoe Liuag, Shark Story Editor

The weekend of April 20th to April 22nd, I was fortunate enough to receive a sponsorship from the Arlington Rotary Club to attend the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, known more notoriously as RYLA. The event, hosted at Thousand Pines Christian Campgrounds in Crestline, California, amalgamated roughly 300 intelligent, driven high school Juniors across the Inland Empire to provide them with the skills to return to their communities and make positive influences in terms of community service and overall kindness. Through motivational speakers, heartwarming discussions, and collaborative activities, the messages of compassion and unity were portrayed in such a way that will stick with every attendee for the rest our lives.

Right off the bat, the busses were met with an abundance of enthusiasm from the RYLA Alumni, high school Seniors who had attended RYLA last year and helped to facilitate the activities throughout the camp. This immediately set a precedent for the high-energy that was expected of the campers. Immediately, we were all united with white RYLA t-shirts and the term “Rylarian”—a title equivalent to one of royalty in the pride it would soon bring to us.

The 300 Rylarians were split into groups of eight with one Discussion Group Leader, typically an older member of Rotary whose main goal was to help the campers garner as much knowledge from the convention as possible. This group of individuals turned into a small family for me. While I thought it would be impossible to trust so wholly in complete strangers, over the course of three days, we were able to become vulnerable to each other in ways that allowed for human connectivity at the most genuine level. There were no boundaries a conversation could cross. Every conflict, whether it be internal or within the group, was faced with open minds and the drive to spread love. This universal kindness is something I’ve never witnessed so ubiquitously, but it created a beautiful environment that I think would serve well in today’s society if everybody could adopt a similar mindset of growth and love.

The conference hosted three main speakers that stressed the importance of maintaining a positive attitude. Scott Greenberg, a well-acclaimed motivational speaker, shared his battle with cancer and how this taught him the importance of keeping a positive mindset. He explained that everybody has a “mental heckler”, the voice inside your head that reminds you of all your insecurities. While this voice can’t be silenced, it must be ignored in order for an individual to reach their full potential. He compared this to a hot air balloon. When the sandbags are untied, the balloon flies. When you’re able to let go of anger and jealousy and uncertainty, you open yourself up to opportunities to fly too.

John “T”, as he was coined by RYLA staff and students alike, preached the three easy steps to success. He asserted that if we, as young people, can adopt the right commitment, attitude, and enthusiasm, we’re guaranteed to become unstoppable. Moving forward, I approach every aspect of my life with this in mind. From completing a household chore to getting past a difficult outcome, I now understand that I’m in control of how I feel about things.

Jackie Gronlund had a much heavier message to share. She explored her own personal traumas to emphasize the compassion each individual must carry with them to create a better atmosphere in our school environments. Throughout the conference, Rylarians shared their own struggles with self-acceptance and fitting in. After tears were shed and those brave enough to open up were consoled, it was concluded that everybody just ultimately wants somebody else to care — to lean on and support them.

Perhaps the most moving moment of RYLA was the Culture Walk. A moderator would read a statement asking Rylarians to identify with certain classifications or labels. For example, the statement might be, “I identify with an ethnicity that is perceived as a minority,” or “I am close to somebody who has dealt with addiction.” Those who related to the statement would stand in front of the group and share how they could better be supported by those on the outside. It was an incredible activity that displayed the secret demons everybody deals with, often times without the knowledge of others. Struggling individuals could see that they’re not alone in their battles. It altogether brought everybody closer and opened up the opportunity for deeper conversations to be had about the burdens life throws at each one of us.

The third day was centered around giving back to the community. The Rotary motto is “Service above self”, and we maintained this ideology throughout the volunteer work we participated in. The day was split into two activities. First, we attended a CPR class to learn about the benefits of learning CPR. We were able to practice on dummies and watch an AED being utilized so that, should the circumstances ever arise, we know how to proceed and possibly save a life. Following was the overall Rotary service project in tandem with Feed the World, an organization that helps combat global hunger. Rylarians sorted, packaged, and measured over 10,000 meals collectively in just an hour time period. This helped me realize the true benefits that can ensue from everybody attempting to make just a small difference and do their part.

If you’re a current high school Sophomore, I would highly recommend looking into applying for the 2019 conference. You can find more information at ryla5330.org. Although RYLA was full of jokes, silly chants, and fun memories, the messages of self-confidence, humanity, and compassion will be long-lasting. The friendships are still blossoming to this day as we all seek to live out the RYLA way in our own communities and schools.