Importance of California’s Coast

Kylie Cortez, Staff Writer

The California coast is the spot where the ocean meets the land and makes the place we call home a little better. A location we enjoy so much, but take for granted so often. Stretching 840 miles long, our coast provides beauty, opportunity, good surf, and homes, not only to humans but wildlife. While we tend to dismiss the greatness of our ocean in relation to how often we use it, most people lack the knowledge of its importance here in California. The coast here provides a residence for a vast amount of marine plants and animals in all sectors (Northern, Central, and Southern). It does this by supplying them with a dynamic and diverse oceanic environment. From there, we are able to use its foundation for commercial fishing and other commercial industries. With that set aside, we can also look at the non-commercial society that comes out of it like military training and research, boating, swimming, and other sports. Our demand towards the use of California’s marine environment is growing and it is becoming more desirable as time goes on. With that said, the request for our coastline to be changed by humans increases while our awareness for our destruction decreases greatly.

Living in Corona means a short drive to the beach and a fun-filled day whether it be relaxing or strenuous. We can always rely on the shores near us to be open for our leisure and enjoyment. In fact, the total amount of beach trips to California coasts each year adds up to more than 150 million visits. So, what does that mean for the coast? In reality, we are slowly destroying something we adore so much by being blind to the causes of it. While some things we can’t change ourselves like global warming, we can change the smaller things that still matter. For example, our trash pollution. We dispose of trash into our environment with little thought, but in reality, this will affect marine life, their habitats and can even harm your health. Yet, many carelessly release non-decomposable items into our ocean every day. Sunscreen is another looming threat to our oceans. Although this is somewhat minor and many of us need it for protection, we should use it with care for the fact that it kills our coral and allows them to be bleached, in other words, they die by changing their DNA and blocking UV rays. By being mindful of our actions, we can collaborate as a community to make a difference. Many other simple things can be done to protect a place we love, it just depends on you.

Could you imagine going to the beach, but not being able to enjoy the water? Or what about going to sushi without any raw fish? It might be weird to imagine either, but it may drive your imagination to believe that it could be possible. Maybe it was never brought to your attention that such a beautiful place is becoming so ugly. Maybe you gave the cold shoulder every time the topic was brought up. Even though we may think none of this applies to us, it may find more relevance in your life than you think. If you find interest in conservation, here are steps that could be taken:

1. Switch to reusable products that avoid packaging and use recycled material.
  2. Be aware of where you throw your trash – don’t let it be on the streets or into bodies of water.
  3. Properly dispose of fishing lines, nets, and hooks.
  4. Use natural or mineral sunscreen which is able to break down in the ocean.
  5. Refuse disposables and reduce, reuse and recycle everywhere daily.

The California coast may not be important to you, but it is important to those around you. It’s important in the way that it provides a small getaway, a place for peace, a location for little worries and a spot for being stoked. It’s important in the way that it shelters the lives of so many and makes human life so care-free. It’s important to the income of our economy and to the jobs it provides. It creates an environment that we all seek to gaze upon for its prepossessing looks. It’s important for the way it naturally works through its currents, temperature, up-welling and climate patterns. But, the reason this place is so important is that of how indispensable it is; we only get one California Coast. Only one unique location that is complex enough to do the things it does in the way that it does. Let’s keep the coast of California Golden.

About the Writer
Kylie Cortez, Staff Writer

Kylie Cortez (12) is a student at Santiago High School that intends to create captivating stories in her first year here at the Shark Attack. Her hobbies include soccer and surfing, as she enjoys anything active and outdoors. She takes delight in the company of her friends and family and savors the time she gets to be with them in her busy schedule. As she goes into her senior year she is excited to see what it holds.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Importance of California’s Coast”

1. Alyssa Matthewson on October 17th, 2018 1:33 pm

I agree that we talk about how much we love our oceans, but we don’t show it. We need to pay more attention and show our appreciation by taking care of them.

2. Avery Skinner on October 17th, 2018 1:44 pm

I love this article! It’s really important that we take time to appreciate our oceans.

3. Jacob Garcia on October 18th, 2018 1:47 pm

I like how much you show your appreciation towards our beautiful coast in California. Its true that we do find ourselves enraptured into the discussion of the coast, but we never actually consider how we could take action and make it better.

4. Cody Vadeboncoeur on October 18th, 2018 2:19 pm

Man I never knew how important our coast was! Thank you for getting the word out, it is more important than people think!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

Freshman’s Point of View on the First Day of High School

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

Is Knott’s Scary Farm Really that Scary?

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

Mac vs. PC

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

Fake News Makes Fake History

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

The Corruption in Silicon Valley

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

Everyday Hypocrisy of the American Left and Right

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

Insatiable Renewed for Another Season?! *SPOILER ALERT*

• Importance of California’s Coast

Op/Ed

China’s Detainment of Muslims in Political Education Camps

• Importance of California’s Coast

News

Pluto IS a Planet?

• Importance of California’s Coast

News

Homecoming 2018: A Night That Refused to Grow Up

Importance of California’s Coast