Where Are They Now?

Interview with journalism graduates of 2022

Arianna Bultsma, Editor in Chief

Jocelynn, Alyx, Idinma, Hannah, and Savannah are a part of the graduating class of 2022 who took journalism before graduating. These girls have been so inspirational as journalism students. Without journalism, there have never been a chance to gain this friendship I have with each of them. Now that they have all graduated and are in the real world, what they are up to now? Here are some of their responses.

What are you guys doing now after graduating earlier this year? 

Savannah – “Now that I have graduated I am playing lacrosse and majoring in business administration as well as minoring in creative writing possibly minoring in environmental studies.” 

Alyx – “After graduating earlier this year, I have been going to college in order to become an elementary school teacher. Alongside that major time commitment, I have also begun working again and trying to be around my loved ones as much as possible.” 

Do you believe journalism helped prepare you for the real world? 

Jocelynn – “Absolutely. It helped me be able to have different perspectives and the ability to educate myself correctly. It also helped me a lot personally, being able to be caught up with campus news and local news lets me be sage as a college student.” 

Hannah – “I think journalism prepared me to accept criticism. Whether it be from an academic stance where Mrs. Larson or the editors would tweak our work or a societal stance in the eyes of a judgemental audience, accepting criticism from the right people is key. Figuring out whether it is to help you or hurt your feelings is so important! Not taking criticism as a personal thing was always hard for me, but journalism definitely helped me understand the importance of accepting help.” 

Savannah – “Journalism helped me immensely with my vocabulary skills and my ability to interview others. Journalism helped me refind my love for writing which is why I’m minoring in creative writing.” 

What is something you are grateful for that you gained from taking journalism? 

Idinma – “I am grateful for my journalism experience because it has helped shape me into a more well-rounded person. People are of various races, social classes, and genders. Being able to interact with people was one of the most valuable lessons I acquired during my two years in journalism, and I’m thankful that I not only gained more than fantastic academic learning from being a part of the shark attack but also a group of lifetime board members.” 

Alyx – “Journalism gave me a voice that I never realized I had previously. I had always wanted to be a part of something bigger for the school, but I never realized what it was until I joined journalism. Not only did this class enable me to branch out of my comfort zone and research topics that I have an interest in, but it also enabled me to feel more connected within the Santiago community. The peers that I worked alongside always provided me with endless support and a friendship that I will never forget, and I am so grateful that I took journalism my senior year.” 

What advice would you give to high school students now that you have graduated?

Hannah – “…Get to know yourself. Take the time to understand what makes you happy, what motivates you, and how you can get there. Remind yourself that college is not the only way to be successful… For those of you who do choose the college route, especially community college, know that what makes college so difficult is the amount of responsibility you have to take. Keep in check with yourself and what you can handle. You can do it!”

Idinma – “Find your support group. Succeed, but at your own pace. Everyone’s story and journey are different. Have fun. Make all the mistakes you need to. Get your heart broken. Fight with your friends. Speak your mind. Make memories. Everyone says that but it’s most important. It’s also important to know you don’t need to have everything figured out.” 

Alyx – “If I could give current high schoolers a piece of advice, it would be to live in the moment. This especially goes out to all the seniors, stressing out about college applications and tests for those colleges–take a breath. It’ll all work out in the end, regardless of what happens, and of course, the fear of the unknown is stressful, but please, cherish your time alongside your family and friends. I promise, it’ll all be fine.”

If you could do it over again would journalism still be a part of your high school experience?

Jocelyn – “If I could do it over, I would have done journalism all four years. Wanting to pursue some sort of career in journalism would not be as easy to navigate if I didn’t t have the experience from The Shark Attack. Professors, bosses, and people you meet will be impressed that you already have experience. Not only that, but writing papers would be way easier than they already are. Having to meet those word counts ends up helping you in the long run.”

Alyx – “If I could redo my high school experience, I would absolutely take journalism again. All of the memories that I made in that class along with all of the unforgettable friendships that I have now were so worth it. It is genuinely so fun and I would truly recommend the class to anyone who has ever considered taking it.” 

These girls are truly making it in their lives. You can clearly see how much of an impact journalism was on them and it could be for you too. After seeing their responses you might want to take up this class. You should definitely take this class next semester!