Sunny With a Chance of Snow

Sunny With a Chance of Snow

Larkin Flemming, Staff Writer

If you live in southern California, you may have noticed unusual and frigid weather for this time of year. This part of California doesn’t get too cold, even in winter, typically with highs within the 60s and lows in the 40s. However, this winter has been different; much cooler and wintery weather has been occurring, which is unusual for this area. According to the LA Times, this has been one of the coldest winters southern California has seen in decades. In addition, the weather in locations nationwide has also been rare and much more complex than usual. So what is causing this atypical weather not only in California but in areas worldwide?

Snow has been reaching very low elevations, as low as 4,000 feet. Not only has this storm brought snow to areas that typically don’t receive it, but it has also brought road closures, power outages, floods, and various other hazards. Southern Californians were shocked by this rare change of weather and did not know how to stay warm with highs in the 40s. Because of the drastic weather the inland empire and other areas of southern California have been experiencing, many sports games and practices have been canceled, schools have made it mandatory for students to stay indoors during lunch, and outdoor events have been postponed.

What is even more unusual about the recent weather is that it went back to 70 degrees and was sunny the following week. The weather continues to fluctuate. One day, you will see people wearing tank tops and shorts; the next, everyone is bundled up in coats and scarves. This all connects back to climate change.

California is known for having warm and tropical weather, but is it still? The summers are getting hotter, and the winters are getting colder and colder. To specify, over the last 40 years, summer temperatures have increased three degrees each day. However, this year took a shift in this. This winter has been colder than most southern Californians are used to. Though scientists stay, it is not technically record-breaking yet. Who knows, maybe next year will be even more complex.