The Case of Senior ITIS

How does it feel to be a senior?

It is a question you have probably been asked frequently by your family and friends as you step into one of the most important milestones of your life. There are many things to look forward to, such as Homecoming, Prom, Grad night, and Graduation. Although these are all exciting events, you may realize this is a significant year that’s the beginning of structuring the rest of your future. Knowing this can cause all types of emotions. Some people find happiness, and others can see this as a very stressful time in their lives because even with all of the good things happening, there are still responsibilities that come with the title of being a senior, like setting an example for the first-year students on campus, worrying about where you are going to school and the pressures of having it all figured out.

Set the example

Although perfection shouldn’t always be expected, this often still occurs. You walk around with this unknowing weight on your shoulders because someone is constantly looking to you for knowledge of how to dress and act. This could be flattering because you are the standard and stamp of approval for your younger classmates, but also overwhelming cause sometimes you aren’t even sure what to do. 

College season

This might be the most stressful part of senior year, minus deciding where to spend your next four years or if you’re even going to school. Before deciding, you must see if you can get into school; this feels like a make-or-break for many of us. You feel like if you don’t get into the schools you want, it’s an automatic failure, and we should not make ourselves feel like that. In all honesty, that is not the reality of the situation. It is very natural to feel disappointed if your chosen path doesn’t seem to be in your favor. The real reason it’s so heavy is the fear of failing, which nobody likes to do. Many of us aren’t even used to that feeling. Still, we must recognize the courage we display by even putting ourselves out there. We should typical failure because sometimes your failure is the reason for your future success.

Pressure 

Another thing that might set you back is the pressure, especially from those closest to you, like your parents and peers. Your parents may pressure you because of where they went to school, and they might want you to continue on the same path. And although you would like to make them proud, you have to decide based on what’s best for you. Peer pressure can be a different kind of Monster. You might think you have to go to school where all your friends are going or feel inadequate because you weren’t accepted to the same places they were. It’s your story to write, and nobody should influence how that starts. It may seem unclear, but I guarantee things will fall into place once you cross that stage in that black cap and gown.