Impact of Relationships

Impact of Relationships

A relationship is the way two or more people are connected or how they behave towards each other. When you have reached what some might call your lowest, it is when those relationships you have built affect you. Whether positively or negatively, relationships of all kinds impact your life. You never truly realize the beauty of love shown throughout friendships, relationships, etc. I have been blessed enough to build certain relationships throughout my time here at Santiago High, and these friendships I have created have impacted me in a highly positive way.

Although many focus on the great moments, consisting of rainbows and sunshine, no one ever speaks about the bad times in relationships or friendships. I believe that the people we are around daily truly affect us and can even change us. For example, if you are around negativity and people who radiate hostility, you most likely will extend the same energy. The same goes for positivity. Throughout our lives, we continuously build unique relationships; some last a lifetime, and others only briefly. Personally, I have gained and lost friendships, but never in any of those situations was keeping toxic and harmful behavior around me an exception. Especially as teenagers, we are highly vulnerable to what society has to say or think about us, and we forget about authenticity. In today’s society, we forget about authentic connections and what it is like to see that person for who they are, not based on looks or what they can bring to the table. Sadly, so many get hurt and affected by this behavior, but our insecurities have created this norm.

In relationships ranging from teammates, peers, best friends, and even family members, the sensitivity in feelings such as trust can be broken. To have trust in something is relying on that person physically and emotionally because you feel safe and are allowing a sense of vulnerability. It is incredibly challenging to have a sense of trust with anyone because not many have the right intentions. Now, don’t get me wrong, many people are highly trustworthy, but even then, trust isn’t the initial feeling when building connections. It’s the truth, the sad truth, but that is reality. As humans, we were made for connections, yet the capability of allowing connections restricts us from establishing them. The continuous cycle of bonds that are built and ended is an ongoing case throughout our lives.

Now, my writing is not made to convince nor influence your way of thinking. I am choosing to share my experience of a couple of solid relationships that I have built in my nine months here at Santiago High. This friendship started at ten and was made through each other’s love for basketball. As two little girls with big dreams and aspirations, we instantly connected and had an immense bond. We played on the same travel team for about two years and sadly went our separate ways. The mutual connection was still there but wasn’t as strong anymore. Years went on, and before you knew it, we were teenagers; we were both at different high schools while having social media as the only thing that kept us updated on one another. In the late winter of 2023, I transferred schools; that school happened to be the same school she went to. Who would’ve known that teammates at ten would be reunited during their sophomore and junior high school years? The timing of our reunion couldn’t have been any better; we both needed a light in the deep, dark tunnel, and our friendship was that light. I’d consider us to be very close, the type of friendship that when one isn’t present, everybody asks the other where they are. Our friendship is something I am grateful for rebuilding at this time in my life.

Another relationship I feel has impacted me was one I made recently. She became the team manager for our girl’s basketball team here at Santiago. Now, at first, we did not think that we liked each other; we both thought the complete opposite of one another. Despite the simple fact, we surprisingly instantly clicked and found out we had much in common, especially our specific ideas on life. She is someone who I would consider an authentic person. She carries the traits you don’t find in many friendships nowadays, and our bond has grown based on her character. I am grateful for her ongoing realness and ability not to care what anyone or anything has to say. Although we don’t play the same sport, we have connected due to the same ideas. The funny part is even though we are a year apart; I find myself looking up to her as if I am still a little girl.

Now, the two unique connections I have built during my teenage years have, of course, impacted me. They are very different, but both are positive. Both allowed me to see that there are better days, radiating blissful energy daily. Of course, everyone’s experience of relationships or friendships is different, but the common denominator may be similar.

I hope that the toxic approach many have when building or reconnecting relationships changes for the better. These connections have the potential to be very impactful, whether it’s good or bad.

1
View Comments (1)
$500
$600