What’s Happening in Disneyland?

Paul Hiffmeyer/Disneyland Resort

Commonly known as “The Happiest Place On Earth,” Disneyland has been dealing with infelicitous situations, from deaths to streakers.

Disneyland is one of the world’s most infamous theme parks; everyone will hear it when something goes wrong. Due to unfortunate situations, they have been the head of news lines for the past year. Various topics have been kept under wraps, but bystanders are sure to report as much as possible.

Just last month, there was an incident on one of the rides in the park. A 26-year-old guest somehow could walk around the ‘It’s a Small World’ ride completely nude. Yes, naked, in a children’s ride.

Video recorded by @moenikke_in_the_parks

On November 26, a guest decided to stroll on the ride. The details aren’t exactly sure how he got there or what his intentions were. Guests at the park could capture the event on video, which would later be posted to TikTok. The man was first seen walking along the ride, and people assumed he was just part of the staff. A little last, however, he was seen taking off his clothing individually. The ride was soon stopped, and the man decided to explore the attraction some more. He climbed over the dolls, sat down on a fake water animatronic, and attempted to climb the overhead of a tunnel. In other videos, too graphic, he was seen removing his boxers and proceeding to take a swim. Guests and crew members were terrified for his safety, as there were things that could seriously injure him in the ride. He was quickly escorted out of the park by Disneyland officers. According to Anaheim PD, the man seemed to be under the influence of a controlled substance. He was later taken to a nearby hospital to receive treatment.

Even with this incident, it has worsened on the Disneyland property. There were three reported instances, in less than a year, involving people who have fallen off or purposely jumped the Pixar Pals and Mickey & Friends parking structure.

Jonah Alexander Edwards

The recent victim of death from jumping off the parking structure was 24-year-old Jonah Alexander Edwards. Cops are investigating his death as a suicide. Jonah was part of the Disney college program and worked at the park. He was beloved by many who described him to be encouraging, a pure light, and his smile lit up every room he walked into. Upon his passing, few people who knew him personally spoke about the incident, including his brother Micah Edwards. Micah shared a heartfelt post on Instagram, grieving the loss of his brother. In the Instagram post, he mentions, “He was a pure light to everyone who had the privilege of knowing him…In the last few days, the love and comfort of Jesus have been overwhelming through the hands of our community. If I could find any sliver of hope, it’s that his suffering is no more.” Others who knew him commented on the post, describing how much joy he brought to their lives.

Facebook / Marney Schoenfeld

Another death occurred in February of an Arizona woman by the name of Marney Schoenfeld. She was in the Mickey & Friends when she plummeted the 10-story parking structure. Police worked to keep her alive until paramedics rushed her to an area hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Cops are also investigating this death as a suicide, although it’s not exactly clear what happened. She was a mother hairstylist and married to Randy Schoenfeld. Her husband describes her death as excruciating.

“She was a loving mother to her daughter, Sydney,” her husband told the New York Post. “She was a caring wife to me. She was a talented hairstylist of 23 years, and her clients loved her.”

Authorities weren’t sure if she was a park guest or just had entered the structure. Many loved and cared for her, and her light will continue to live on.

Facebook/Christopher Christensen

The death that started it all, in December of 2022, was 51-year-old Christopher Christensen,  a Huntington Beach elementary school principal. His story, however, has many depths. His death was a suicide. Christopher, at the time, was going through a divorce with his ‘toxic’ and ‘abusive wife.’ Two days before his death, he was due in court on child endangerment and battery charges. 26-year-old Brittany Christensen, one of his three children from a previous marriage, claimed his current wife, Marlena, had been the abusive partner and accused her of tearing up the family. This is devastating news to everyone who knew him. The effects of the charges and the divorce were taking a significant toll on him. His final note was written in a Facebook post, stating

“Unfortunately, Marlena’s anger got the best of her that night, and she called the police, which landed me in jail that night. Yes, me! A man who has never hit or harmed ANYONE in his life!” he wrote.

Before his death, Christopher stated that his marriage was great until the end, when things got messy. In an Article posted by the New York Post, they understood Christopher’s life and followed up with an interview with his daughter. In there, she expressed the harm Marlena brought to their family and how her father was being affected by the despise brought upon him.

The incidents involving the streaker and the three deaths at Disneyland have been a rollercoaster of emotions for many visitors and its park lovers. This should be a reminder that even the most magical and happiest places on earth are not immune to tragedy. While Disneyland is a place of fun and fantasy, it is also a place of safety and security. In light of these events, being aware of your surroundings and watching for any strange or alarming activity or behavior is essential. Disneyland continuously ensures the safety of its guests and provides a magical place for everyone to enjoy.