What You’ve Missed This Winter Break- F1

Formula 1
Leclerc and Hamilton Ferrari 2025

The past three months of Winter break have been anything but time off. Formula 1 Fans have been bombarded with startling news and surprising new looks. Just weeks before the start of the new season, there have been confirmed and possible changes regarding Team Principles. There have also been recent investigations, some still ongoing and some dropped. Contracts, as always, have been a concern this break; whether they’re ending or have just been extended, it could mean drivers leaving or changing teams. Speaking of changes, you might need to do a bit of name-learning before the racing season begins.

Retirements and Investigation

Steiner breaking news (Formula 1)
Christian Horner (Formula 1)
Toto and Susie Wolff (Action Press)

In early January, many fans were upset to hear that Haas Team Principal Guenther Steiner would retire before the 2024 season began. This surprised many, especially after his significant impact on the Netflix show Drive To Survive. Due to recent allegations leading to an investigation by Red Bull, Christian Horner’s position as Red Bull Racing Team Principal is in question this coming season. The FIA took up an inquiry of Toto and Susie Wolff and a “potential conflict of interest.” While the investigation for the Wolffs has been dropped, Horner’s situation is far from being over

Beginnings and Endings

Norris extended contract (Formula 1)
Leclerc extended contract (Formula 1)

The 2024 year will see the near end of many of the grid’s current driver contracts. Many drivers have managed to renew or secure multi-year agreements. This includes McLaren drivers Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri, with multi-year contracts expected to continue until at least 2026. Another multi-year contract was announced for Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc. William’s Sargeant has extended his time from the 2023 season to the end of this year. George Russell and Alex Albon will continue with their respective teams’ contracts until 2025. Still, many drivers remain with ending contracts and uncertain futures in racing. Contracts ending after this season include Red Bull’s Perez, Aston Martin’s Alonso, Alpine’s Ocon and Gasly, Haas’ Hulkenberg and  Magnussen, Stake’s Bottas and Zhou, Visa’s Ricciardo and Tsunoda, and Ferrari’s Sainz.

Big Losses

Carlos Sainz Statement (Carlos Sainz)

Before the break, Lewis Hamilton was expected to remain with team Mercedes, considering his former 2-year deal. However, these three months gave time for speculations to become reality as it was revealed that the Mercedes driver would be changing teams for the upcoming 2025 season. With Carlos Sainz’s soon-to-end contract and no signs of renewal, a driver change had been long expected. On February 1, the Ferrari team released a statement announcing that Hamilton would have an open seat for the 2025 season. That same day, current Ferrari driver Sainz posted a short statement addressing the news and the starting season.

Andrea Kimi Antonelli (Mercedes)

In light of the newly available Mercedes seat, there are many speculations about who it can be offered to. The option most debated amongst followers is a direct exchange of drivers between Mercedes and Ferrari- Sainz for Hamilton. But, with plenty of ending contracts and up-and-coming Formula 2 drivers, this seat has several candidates. Aston Martin driver Fernando Alonso and William’s Alex Albon seem to be the most likely candidates within the current grid to be thought of for the seat. Another viable candidate is Andrea Kimi Antonelli, a current F3, soon-to-be F2 Prema driver. Although they may not likely place him in Mercedes for his rookie year, they would eventually need to clear the seat once again.

New Year, New Look

Stake Team Livery 2024 (Stake Team)
Visa Cash App Red Bull Livery 2024 (Visa Cash App Red Bull)
McLaren 38 Livery (McLaren)
William Livery 2024 (Williams racing)

The new season brings some new looks and some not-so-new teams. Alfa Romeo (formerly) revealed their new name at the beginning of the year, Stake F1 Team. This change also brought a new look, starting with the neon green theme and new livery. In just the last few months, this team has taken on many names, from Alpha Tauri to Racing Bulls and now Visa Cash App Red Bull in. Now, they will take on a new look with their livery, deciding to lean onto a brighter color palate. While maintaining its name, McLaren is also experiencing a bit of a rebrand, with a new motto, Whatever it Takes. Following their Monster partnership, they chose a darker look for their livery. Teams striving for a darker look as well were Alpine, Haas, and Mercedes. Other teams aiming for their classic looks, with slightly different shades of color, were Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams, and Aston Martin. Drivers continue to express their styles through their helmet designs.

Lando Norris’ Helemt (lnfour)
Pierre Gasly Helmet (Pierre Gasly)
Zhou Guanyu’s Helmet (Seya Eggler)
Alex Albon’s Helmet (Alex Albon)

Back On Track

The start of the new season allows all the teams to start fresh and ready for action. The pre-season has just begun, and three practice sessions will start this week. The start of the 2024 season is soon to come, with the first race weekend of the year opening with the Bahrain Grand Prix on February 29-March 2. Though there are still many lingering questions- hopefully, viewers will get their answers as the season progresses.