Wild Winter

Wild+Winter

California braces for a winter storm as Sierra City anticipates a deluge of snowfall. Meteorologists are preparing for this significant impact of snow. This is planned to happen today until Sunday. Today’s date is Feb 29,24.  Another city called Lake Tahoe will also get hit by the storm. Many need to know so they can prepare for it.  This could last a long time. Many people are in danger. California towns buried under more than 7 feet of snow

On Feb 29,24, a blizzard warning went out for Sierra and Lake Tahoe”, which may get hit with three feet of snow.” This storm may last four days. This is the eighth snowstorm since 2002. When the 2023 snowstorm hit”, it dropped two feet of snow in less than two hours. Many people struggle during this time. People could not get out of their homes.  The blizzard had students stuck on a school bus away from their parents. For the 2024 storm, they are trying to prevent this from happening. With the mountain’s elevation, some people can get more snow than others.  Twelve feet of snow may come depending on the weather up in the mountains.  The snow will fall in the Northern part of California. It is 33 degrees in Sierra and 38 in Lake Tahoe. There will be high winds while the snow falls. The National Weather Service says you should not travel in these conditions. The commute will be wrong. You will not be able to drive in the snow conditions. The wind could bring down some of the trees.  The weight of the snow could be heavier than you think. They want you to keep food, water, and flashlights in an emergency. They have a number you can call if you are stuck on the road. It is 511. 

Patrons enter Jax At The Tracks diner past snow drifts in downtown Truckee, California, on March 3, 2024.

On Mar 2, 2024, “West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada county” got hit with 7 feet of snow. There were hurricane winds that blew up to 170 mph-plus. The Nevada state line has been closed for two days because of the storm. Some people got stuck on the road because the snow hit hard. All of the routes across the Sierra are closed. South of “Lake Tahoe”, it got up to 3to5 feet of snow. This also got people stuck on the highway. Highway 50 is closed down. You will get trapped in your house because of how high the snow can get. Some ski fields are closed because it is too dangerous to ski in these conditions. California digs out from massive Sierra blizzard. They will remain closed until Mar 4, 2024. The winds began to die down on Sunday night to 140mph. The ski restores recorded up to 7.25 feet of snow. The ski maintenance doors were blocked with snow. They reported that they had to rescue people from their cars. You can’t even clear your driveway.

In conclusion, this blizzard is dangerous. People who live in Sierra and Lake Tahoe will have to stay in their homes until it gets clear enough to be able to drive. The power must also be fixed because the snow is heavy on the wires. When the snow falls on the falls and builds up, the wires will fall low to the ground and stop working.  They are trying their best to clear the road as fast as they can.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dEAa0nimt4ZOVEU8KkGVKmCTpHiYezD3iJTfF0yJwB4/edit?usp=sharing

Crews clear trees along Donner Lake, where power was lost due to the storm Saturday, March 2, 2024, in Truckee, California.