Shark Stories: Angel De Los Santos

Cassandra Abelar, Staff Writer

Angel De Los Santos is a sophomore and currently won the Class President in AVID for her sophomore class. She is a great student and person on and off campus. Here are some things you’d like to know about Angel and her journey to becoming AVID president and her experience.

So tell me about yourself and what you are involved in:

“I’m Angel De Los Santos and I am kind of like a fun, outgoing person. I like to do a bunch of activities. I play a sport, I play Club soccer for the Corinthians. I’m also in the AVID leadership program.”

What do you like to do on your free time?

“I like to just hang out with family or if not, hang out with friends. I like to cook so sometimes I’ll cook for my mom, just something nice.”

What are your goals? What do you want to do after high school?

“I want to graduate from high school with the best GPA I can get, which is a 4.0 or higher. After I want to go to a 4-year UC. I want to attend UC Davis to get a degree in veterinary medicine and I want to open up my own business for a pet hospital/animal shelter.”

What made you want to be AVID president?

“Just for the leadership role and learning responsibility.”

What did you do in order to win the election?

“Just to be friendly with everybody so they know who I am and know I am a nice person. I just showed my leadership skills so they see if I’m fit to be president.”

How did you feel when you won the election?

“It was kind of exciting you know and my aunt had came here about 10 years ago and she was AVID president for her senior class so it was pretty cool to be president like her.”

What are your duties as AVID president?

“Basically if kids have an issue or a request to do something different I would go to the head of AVID which is Mr. Padilla and tell him what kids have in mind and their ideas so he can take it into consideration and hopefully get what they want.”

Is it stressful to you? If it is, how so?

“So far it’s not stressful because we haven’t had any complaints but I’m mentally preparing myself for anything that comes.”   

Overall, are you happy with your position? Why?

“Yes I am happy for just being able to say that I was AVID president for sophomore year and being able to put it on my college resume I think would look really cool.”