Shark Story: Karina Tursunalieva

Kayli Jester, Editor in Chief

Karina Tursunalieva, currently a senior at Santiago, has dedicated a good chunk of her time to some of the finest teams and organizations on campus. After kicking off her high school career by joining The Right To Be Informed and Dance Team, she decided to add Mock Trial to her schedule during her sophomore year. Tursunalieva has stuck with both Dance and Mock Trial ever since.

How long have you been on the Dance Team here at Santiago?

I have been on the Santiago Dance Team for all four years.

Describe your experience. Was it a positive one?

My experience with the team had a lot of ups and downs but overall it was positive. I’ve learned so much from it. I have yet to encounter a team that really embodies the definition of a team, but I think Dance Team is really close. Not only do they perform well but they also have so much fun.

Do you think self-expression, be it through art, music, or performance, is an important aspect of the high school experience?

Yes, I think it is crucial. No matter how artistically inclined someone is, I feel like the arts help kids find themselves; it’s really important when so much focus goes into sports and academics, which not everyone is good at.

Describe your experience with Mock Trial.

Mock Trial is amazing. It’s helped me develop skills I haven’t had before and has boosted my academics. I’ve met a lot of great people from Mock Trial and made strong friendships through it. Although it may seem boring on the surface, it’s a lot of fun and gives you something to look forward to.

Do you think your experiences with these teams/organizations made you a better person?

Definitely, both teams helped me step out of my comfort zone and shaped me into who I am today. It’s hard to put into words exactly how much it’s changed me, but I can definitely say they’ve been inspirational and encouraging to me when I felt low.

Would you advise students to be involved with on campus organizations?

Yes I believe activities make high school more bearable and often times gives you something to look forward to. It’s also a great way to meet people and make new friends.

What other advice would you give to any of the younger Sharks?

Worry about yourself and do what’s best for you. Your academics do not define you, and focus on your future.

Senior year: how would you describe it? What do incoming seniors need to know?

Senior year is so much fun, but it’s also hell. Senior activities definitely make the year better, but college stuff is stressful. Start looking to colleges and admissions in advance. I was so lost when I started the application process; I wish I knew more beforehand.

What aspect of Santiago are you going to miss the most?

I’m probably going to miss people that I meet there the most. I’ve met so many great people there. I’m sad to leave it all behind.