School Supplies at your Fingertips

LilyRose Cartwright, Staff Writer

Have you ever forgotten your school supplies? Don’t you think selling school supplies at school would solve this issue?

Depending on your situation, you may not have access to school supplies or maybe you don’t have anyone to drive you to the store. One simple and productive way to solve this problem is to have school supplies vending machines. This not only would benefit students, but also the school. This could help the school because the profit earned from the vending machines could go towards school events or school remediation. Although most of the profit will go to refilling the vending machines, the other money received can grow over time to go towards the school benefits.

Certain school supplies would be sold in packs, for example, pencils, pens, highlighters, etc. While there will be other school supplies sold by themselves like, composition books, binders, and note cards.

These are some examples of how the pricing could be organized: a pack of pens or pencils could be $1.50, a pack of highlighters could be $2.00, and a large eraser could be 75 cents. These are only recommendations for pricing because it would only be beneficial if it is inexpensive rather than way above the price point.

When asked, “What do you think about vending machines that sell school supplies?” here is what some students expressed.

“I think this would be a good idea because if people forget supplies they can easily get some from the vending machine at school.”- Hanine Zayter (9)

“This would be useful because people could just get supplies from the school if they forget their supplies or don’t have time to go to the store.”- Alexia (9)

“I think this is a smart idea because if we ever run out of school supplies we can go get some instead of having to go buy some.”- Elena Hyatt (9)

This proposal was accepted in many schools such as Emory University, Louisiana State University, and many more. The vending machines located at these places have sold supplies such as scantrons, blue books, pens, pencils, highlighters, notepads, and USB drives. From the viewpoint of these students and teachers, they say that this saves them time and energy. But with all of the benefits, there are bound to be some downfalls. For example, the students say that these vending machines may be an issue due to inflation. Also, Ashley Goez says that the items in the vending machines are much more expensive than items in supply stores. This causes the decision you have to make of either convenience or pricing. After analyzing the incite from schools that have experience in this topic, if more schools decided to move forward in this decision for this to be a full success they would need to decrease the prices to be more reasonable and be aware of inflation.

Therefore having school supplies vending machines wouldn’t only benefit the school but also the students. even though it would cost a hefty amount at first, the school would heavily benefit from these school supply vending machines as well as the students, which is what this is all about!