Why is passing period 8 minutes?

Is 8 minutes enough for a passing period to get to your class? But is this enough time to get to class? The average passing period is 7 minutes worldwide, but is it more than just getting to your class? The passing period consists of students navigating through crowded hallways, trying to find their friends, and ensuring they are prepared for their next class, all in a short time. Longer passing periods can alleviate stress from having to rush to their next class, which allows them to move at a more controlled pace without feeling rushed to make it to their next class.

JT Cameron, an administrator at Santiago High School, states the traditional passing period is 5 minutes, but since our campus is big, it’s 8 minutes. Many students already experience academic and social pressures, and by making the time longer, they can freely relax between classes that are approximately 2 hours long three times each day, allowing them to socialize with their peers or take time for themselves and quietly listen to music alone. Most students, including myself, also feel that the school doesn’t give enough time for students to use the restroom while also having to ensure they get to school on time without suffering the consequences of being tardy. Many of the restrooms at Santiago are closed except for one building, so there tends to be a long line that can easily waste the whole passing period.

a couple of people standing in front of lockers

Mr. Cameron also claims that most students don’t even use their lockers as much as they used to and puts into perspective that “During an evacuation for a fire drill, we can get everybody from campus down to either the stadium or the baseball field in about 8 minutes” which proves his belief that 8 minutes is long enough to do everything but sit and chat with friends. Another reason passing periods should be longer is to promote the use of lockers in every building at school. Most people at school do not use the lockers because there is not enough time to get the materials needed for the next class in a separate building while still ensuring they’re not late. Using lockers can alleviate the heavy weight of textbooks in student’s backpacks, but if they are not given enough time, most students would carry them with them.

I also use the passing period to talk to my teachers about inquiries or questions about a recent lesson before or after class to ensure I can grasp the concepts I’m learning in class and get quick tutoring alone. Students also need to refuel throughout the day, which is why a vending machine of drinks and quick snacks is available to students who need it. After 4-6 hours of schoolwork, students eventually get hungry and thirsty, and the only time they can buy food is during the passing period, which also happens to have long lines. Kids need time to recharge, especially if a teacher doesn’t allow eating in their class. Speaking of recharging, we also need time to focus on our physical health, and walking or doing quick stretching can help students stay energized and focused and, most importantly, allow our minds to rest. Having more time to organize ourselves and mentally prepare for our classes will enable students to feel more prepared and prevent stress. It is essential to mentally transition to our classes and settle into our next classroom feeling prepared and ready to learn.

1
View Comments (1)
$500
$600