Is your child to young for a phone?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47853554

As modern technology evolves, how we parent our children is also changing. But is it changing for the better or worse? The CDC found that in kids ranging from ages 6-17, one out of six children are diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and kids between the ages of three and eight have been diagnosed with behavioral issues and developmental disorders.

Kelly Sikkema/Unsplash

In my personal opinion, I don’t think kids between the ages of  3-5 should have electronic devices. Electronic devices have been known to cause mental and emotional problems in young kids.

According to Dave Anderson, Ph.D., a clinical psychologist from Child Mind Institute, parents are more worried about “how do you take it so the introduction of the phone is in line with their developmental stage?and not so much about when they should get your child a phone. Parents are pressured to get their children electronic devices so they do not feel isolated from other kids. But you should still wait even if you feel pressured to get them phones. Getting a phone too early can have adverse effects on a child’s mental health and expose them to things they don’t need to see at such a young age.

Excessive screen time at a young age leads to problems with your child’s mental health, such as their behavior and problems in social-emotional development, and can even cause depression and anxiety. Dr. Katie Lockwood from Behavioral Health Education Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia says electronics can impact a child’s sleep schedule and the ability to interact in real-life social interactions. Also, a study from ABCD (Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development) says that increased screen time can shorten a child’s attention span and could encourage violent and aggressive behavior. 

With the rise of social media in recent years, it is straightforward for kids to get roped in and addicted, which can harm your child in many ways. Although most social media apps use age restrictions within the app, most kids lie anyway to access the videos. Being online more actively can lead to your very young, impressionable children finding explicit videos or videos with heavy amounts of gore or scary material, which can also cause emotional and mental damage. 

silversaltphoto.j.senosiain/Moment/Getty Images

Some parents think age doesn’t matter when giving their kids phones and electronics if they have parental boundaries. But sometimes, it just doesn’t work. Children in these modern times have found ways to get around Parental Controls, like using non-messaging apps and private VPNs to access the internet, defeating parental controls’ sole purpose.

Phones can also cause sleep disturbances. The blue light from phone screens can affect your child’s sleep/wake schedule and cause sleep-inducing melatonin. A study from the University of Utah Health Department found that kids between the ages of 6 and 19 (41%) don’t sleep enough, and the other 45% who use their electronic devices before sleeping have the highest percentage of reduced sleep hours. Reduced Sleep hours cause mood disorders, from being tired and experiencing fatigue to also promoting aggressive behavior.