Multiple NYC Women Attacked

“So I just got punched in the face” is how many young women in New York City have been starting their videos on social media after they have been assaulted while walking down the street. No one expects to get punched in the face while walking in broad daylight. However, on Monday morning, famous TikToker Halley Kate shared on the internet that she had just been punched in the face by a man in the streets of NYC. But she wasn’t the only victim; eight other young women came out posting their own experiences that they all had been punched as well. Multiple videos that have surfaced stated that they were casually walking when a man then performed a malicious act on them. This raised concerns for various reasons: who this man is, why he is doing this, and is any woman safe anymore trying to get to their destinations?

The Victims that posted to TiktTok
TikToker HalleyKate

This week, women in New York City are more terrified than ever to leave their homes. Halley Kate reported to her 1.2 million followers that she was just walking in Manhattan, looking down at her phone, when a man bumped into her, apologized, and proceeded to punch her head right then and there. This seemed to be the case for many other victims. On Tuesday, Mikayla Toninat, a student at Parsons School of Design, said she was also looking down at her phone when the man proceeded to punch her. After the incident, she messaged her friends about what happened, and they responded by sending Toninat Halley Kate’s video. Although both attacks led to some damage, Toninat went to urgent care, where they told her that she had a concussion, black eye, and chipped tooth. In contrast, people believed Halley Kate suffered a Hematoma, which happens when a pool of mostly clotted blood forms in an organ, tissue, or body space. It can be hazardous because if a blood clot from a hematoma travels back into the bloodstream, it can obstruct an artery, interrupting blood flow to a specific part of the body.

Mallik Miah (Top), Skiboky Stora (Bottom)

When the attacks started happening, many women described the same man, one even being able to take a picture of him getting away. NYPD has suspended who the attackers might be based on previous incidents that happened in the past. That was until they brought in 40-year-old Skiboky Stora and 30-year-old Mallik Miah. Stora was caught on security cameras Monday morning walking his dog, which was around the same time Halley Kate was attacked, and she mentioned that the guy was walking a dog. After he was caught and put on bail for $10,000, Halley Kate confirmed in a TikTok video that it was him. She states, “I do feel I have a responsibility to let the girlies of New York City know that the man who assaulted me has been arrested.” Stora is also under suspicion of attacking seven other women, but that hasn’t been resolved yet.

Mallik Miah, the other offender, was arrested for accusation of punching Mikayla Toninat. Miah was charged with misdemeanor assault and was able to be released with no bail but supervision.  Toninat also confirmed in a TikTok video that that was the man who assaulted her. Toninat announces, “They just arrested the man that assaulted me. I am seriously in shock, but I just got a call from my detective working on this case. He was going to different buildings in the area to get more surveillance footage, and then literally saw the man walking around the street and just arrested him.”

However, there is still speculation that there are more men out there continuing to attack women in New York. It’s not sure, but NYPD continuously looks into these vicious acts. 

In short, this alarming trend highlights the need for increased awareness, prevention strategies, and swift action by authorities to ensure the safety and well-being of people in the city. It’s essential to be vigilant and take precautions to protect yourself and others. Always be aware of your surroundings because you may never know what might hit you.