Ohtani’s Ready for the Season

Robert Gauthier

The Dodgers are ready for this season with newly signed player Shohei Ohtani. As they prepare to bring in more revenue, they await to bring more than 3.8 million fans to the stadium. Shohei Ohtani, the famous two-way player, showcased his astonishing skills at the Los Angeles Dodger’s spring training display. Ohtani showed his batting ability, previewing his skills for the upcoming season. He hit a home run during training off of J.P. Feyereisen, a pitcher for the LA Dodgers, which is shocking after his injury in September of 2023.

Ohtani, center, at Spring Training with the Dodgers (AP Photo/ Ashley Landis)

Ohtani’s showstopping skills are astounding, especially since he is recovering from his elbow surgery in September 2023. The elbow surgery occurred on his right elbow, his throwing arm, after he was diagnosed with a torn ACL. Dr. Neal ElAttreache, who performed Ohtani’s procedure, predicts that he will be acceptable to hit for this upcoming season, which Ohtani proved at spring training. Still, he won’t be able to pitch until 2025. Nevertheless, Ohtani is still showing off his astonishing batting skills, especially off accurate pitching just a few months after his surgery. 

Despite being injured, Ohtani could still secure a groundbreaking $700 million contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, leaving his previous team, the Los Angeles Angels. Ohtani signed with the Dodgers after becoming a free agent: someone who can sign with another team after six years in the MLB (major league baseball) or is released from the organization before six years. The Angels offered Ohtani a $20.32 million extension, which Ohtani rejected and instead signed with the Dodgers.

@shoheiohtani/Instagram

Shohei Ohtani’s contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers is a staggering $700 million contract for the next ten years. However, this contract doesn’t mean he will be paid $70 million a year; rather, Ohtani can look at making around $462 million due to inflation. A few days after the new contract made headlines, the Los Angeles Dodgers released more parts of Ohtani’s contract, stating that his contract is a deferred contract, or a legally binding agreement with full terms and conditions, and allows you to delay payment until later. This contract means he would receive $2 million annually for the ten seasons he signed for and $68 million for the next ten years. So, that would mean that from 2024 to 2033, Ohtani would receive $2 million a year, totaling up to $10 million. Then, in the ten years after Ohtani finishes playing for the Dodgers, he will receive $68 million a year and make a total of $680 million. Adding up the total number amount that Ohtani will make will add up to $690 million, which is close to his headlining contract number.

Nevertheless, this won’t be the only money he will make within the next ten years. Shohei Ohtani has other endorsements that brought in around $50 million annually. Some of his sponsorships include the Japanese watchmaker Seiko, the trading card brands Fanatics and Topps, Mitsubishi, a Japanese car company, Japanese Airlines, Kose, a Japanese personal care company, and more recently, the shoe brand New Balance. The New Balance deal is significant since it’s apparel, which many famous athletes have done before, and requires Ohtani to wear New Balance products while on the Dodgers. With this upcoming season, Shohei Ohtani may be able to receive more endorsements from other companies since he joined the Dodgers, adding to his already high-standing contract with them.

Despite the setback with the elbow surgery, Ohtani has proved that he is back and better than ever for the next season, especially with his new team.