2024 Santiago Girl’s Basketball CIF- Championship

The goal for many teams and dream of many teenage athletes is to compete in the CIF championship. The moment where all your hard work and dedication is able to shine under the big arena lights. From the vivid camera lights to the  echoing of fans, adrenaline pumps throughout your body as the clock ticks closer to game time. Now I intend to share this experience that my team and I were very fortunate enough to experience.

Through trials and tribulations, the peaks and lows, our team overcame every part of adversity that struck. ” There was beauty in seeing how far we had come over the past seven months ; the early morning practices and hours of conditioning finally started to pay off. To many critics, we were continuously underestimated and expected to lose but to their surprise; we knocked off teams we weren’t predicted to beat. The various bumps in the road however we remained poised and never let the outside noise or opinion of others dictate how we played. If anything we used it as fuel, seeing the disrespect for what it truly was and letting our game speak for itself. Don’t get me wrong, we didn’t have a so-called “perfect season”; injuries and various other contributions led to bumps in the road. Despite coming across adversity, we found a way to rise above it.

Due to certain circumstances, our preseason was a bit rocky but expected just like every other team. Starting November fifteenth, we had plenty of time to fix our mistakes for league play in January. Playing some of the toughest schools in the country like Sierra Canyon and Etiwanda, we quickly were able to compete at a high level. Our goal was to obviously win a championship, we knew it was going to take some work but were willing to pay the price for what we wanted.

Santiago Girls Varsity team after big first playoff win. (Anonymous )

Fast forward to February, league play is now over, and the playoffs have started. Our first game against Cypress girls basketball, we won 87-28 and the following 3 games were victories. We had made it to the big stage, Toyota Center arena in Ontario, California. The CIF- Southern Section Girls Division 1 championship is the place we have wanted to be at since the summer. We were matched up against Brentwood High School from Los Angeles, California.

Our days of watching film non-stop and countless hours we had spent preparing were now able to finally show under the big lights. Playing in an arena like the one our favorite players play on. The anticipation and anxiousness set in as the hours went on. The bus ride was filled with only good vibes and ecstatic energy, just waiting for the moment when we can finally play.

Also Venezia Perez #2
Venezia Perez

Sadly, we had a very different outcome leading to us losing. However, we fought our hardest and remained focused but just couldn’t pull it off. All we can say is that we were able to experience something that not many get to do ever. To be able to play in front of our loved ones is truly the biggest blessing. As an athlete, you are struck with many encounters like the one we experienced. Being left with the incomplete and empty feeling grows into nothing but motivation. The inspiration to continue to prove others wrong. With that being said, I am extremely proud of my teammates and I for achieving things many didn’t think we were capable of.

1
View Comments (1)
$500
$600