Freshmen’s Thoughts on High School

Freshmen’s thoughts and opinions on high school so far.
Santiago+High+School+
Santiago High School

Since it’s a new school year, that means we have a new batch of students! We’re already a few months into the school year which means freshmen have already built their feelings on high school. Some may think it’s stressful, though others may feel it’s easier than middle school. Since different freshmen have different opinions, I decided to go around and ask them! 

• How are you enjoying High School so far?

“Surprisingly, I’m enjoying high school at the moment. I think a major factor of that is because the block schedule has eliminated so much stress for me. Let’s say I’m given homework on Monday; I don’t have to get it done at night because I have an extra day to complete it before I hand it in on Wednesday.” – Emi Lopez (9)

“High school has been alright. I enjoy my teachers, I enjoy the football games, it’s a lot less scary than I imagined it to be.” – Kathryn Licata (9)

“I’ve been enjoying high school for the most part. It’s been a little tiring at times with all of the work, but I have so far been liking all of my classes.” – Sofia Ramirez (9)

• What has been most difficult for you?

“Something that was difficult for me at first was figuring out the lunch schedule…I know it’s not rocket science, but why does it have to be so complicated!” – Emi Lopez (9)

“The most difficult thing for me is probably getting used to the block schedule; two hours of math and biology is kind of exhausting and boring, and having seemingly longer days as well as getting home around 4 o’clock and wasting the whole day at school is not my favorite thing.” – Kathryn Licata (9)

“Something that has been most difficult for me would be having to go to practice after school. After a long day of work, it’s hard to practice with little to no energy, but I manage.” – Sofia Ramirez (9)

• What are your opinions on your classes?

“My classes are pretty average. None of them stand out to me at the moment.” – Emi Lopez (9)

“My classes have been okay. I like math this year, and all my teachers have been really amazing and helpful.” – Kathryn Licata (9)

“My opinions on my classes would be mainly liking my odd day classes. I enjoy avid and math because of my teacher, but my even day classes feel even longer. Not to mention, on even days, I have to wait until after 4th period to go to second lunch.” – Sofia Ramirez (9)

• Do you have any goals for this school year?

“My goal for this school year is to get straight A’s while also maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Good grades are important, but you also need to look out for yourself.” – Emi Lopez (9)

“I do have goals, and one of the goals would be to get all A’s by the end of the year and get at least a 19-minute three-mile time by the end of this year.” – Sofia Ramirez (9)

• Overall, what are your thoughts on High School so far?  

“Overall, high school’s been okay! I’ve really enjoyed going to the football games and meeting new people.” – Emi Lopez (9)

“Overall, high school has been an interesting experience, I keep on saying the teachers are really helpful. My middle school teachers overexaggerated every single thing. ” – Kathryn Licata (9)

“My overall thoughts would be excitement. I’m excited to grow and learn new things as a student and an athlete. I would also say hopeful because I really do hope that I can reach my goals and learn to love High school further on into my years here!” – Sofia Ramirez (9)

As you can see, different students have expressed their own feelings about high school. We’re only a few months into the school year, so their opinions may change over time!