The Inside of Shark TV

Shark TV is an elective class offered here at Santiago that fills your fine arts requirement, where they create entertaining and educational episodes for the entire school to enjoy. They release two programs per month with three segments in each video. This year, a significant change is in the making for them. Their main goal this year is to add video compared to the rest of the years. This class has been around for a long time and continues to strive, it is currently run by Mr. Gauss who has taught both video production and Television for seven years. When asked to describe the class, Mr Gauss described it as a “family” and “close community,” which Santiago High School strives for. Video Production Educational classes and programs have been proven to have multiple benefits and advantages:

• Career Opportunities
  • Enhancing Creativity and Technical Skill
  • The Value of Practical Experience

I had the opportunity to interview a few students who run and are a part of Shark TV and ask them a few questions: 

How is Shark TV made? And what is the process of making an episode?

Sofia Garcia (Senior): “Our teacher runs Shark TV, and it’s a pretty open process in the sense that we can collaborate and put our ideas into a segment. The filming process starts with us creating an idea and storyboarding it or just going out to shoot a piece during lunch or after school, depending on the project type, whether an interview or narrative.”

Kai Swoares (Junior): “We all work together yet have a lot of creative freedom to film whatever we like. Some people have different strengths, so everyone plays a part and has a role in producing episodes…We ensure everyone gets eyes on episodes so that we know the video is good quality and can be uploaded.”

Why did you decide to join Shark TV:

Jaielle Sallorly (Junior): “So I chose to be a part of Shark TV because I thought it was exciting to capture things on film and produce something for the whole school to watch, and I took to that.”

Kai Romero (Senior): “I was always into film growing up, I was always into movies, and so I went into Video Production because that’s where you can make movies, and they were like, hey, you should try TV production. It’s more for the school, but you can still exercise your creative liberties…and I just thought that was a pretty cool outlet.”

What are some future aspirations for Shark TV?

Sofia Garcia (Senior): “I know we are redoing our backroom, which is our main set where we anchor, and my aspiration is where we can live broadcast to where we directly connect to classrooms and make it into an organized process.” 

Jailelle Sallorly(Junior): “I know we are working towards putting out 14 episodes this year and also having a smooth operation for making videos and working together.”

Is there a primary goal that they plan to achieve throughout the year?

Kai Swores(Junior): “Another one of our main goals, I’d say, is to reach the student body on campus more to include everyone and to make people aware of what’s happening on campus.”

Kai Romero(senior): “It depends because we go by episode per episode. We want to entertain and inform, and we want to balance those out.”

After being inside the class and interviewing students, I can confidently say that this class is a close-knit, creative class where students can express themselves in many different ways while coming together to create an extraordinary final product. If you are a student here at Santiago or a student you know might be interested in film or Shark TV production, I highly recommend this class.