Girl From Nowhere: Who is She?

Nanno, the main character of “Girl From Nowhere,” is an immortal being who travels to various high schools and forces herself into people’s lives, discovering their secrets and bringing justice in horrific manners. Nanno’s name means karma; she punishes those who make mistakes or commit crimes, no matter how big or small the act is.

Girl From Nowhere” takes inspiration from true stories in high schools throughout Thailand. The only difference in the stories is that the students and teachers who commit crimes do not cruelly face justice at the hands of Nanno.

One example of these true stories is the final episode of season two, “The Judgment.” this episode is about parents profiting from their children’s illnesses.

The Smart Local states, “A woman was accused of poisoning her two-year-old son to gain donations from sympathetic netizens. She allegedly received more than ฿10,000,000 (~USD318,000), which she claimed would be used for her son’s medical bills, reported Khaosod. A medical examination later revealed that her son had no pre-existing conditions but showed signs of ingesting poison.” In the show, Junko’s mother, Waan, had been injecting her frail daughter with medicine to help her with her hemophilia. Waan had received many donations from Junko’s classmates, parents, and teachers. The audience is made to think this was purely for the money, but it isn’t a Girl From Nowhere Story without a twist. It is revealed that Waan had been injecting her daughter with toxins that caused her to be unable to use her legs to prevent her true self from coming out. Junko was fascinated with human anatomy and the body’s inner workings; unfortunately for her mother, Waan had to clean up after Junko’s hobby of dissecting humans. Waan’s solution was to drug her daughter to prevent her from killing anyone else. She soon realized that the more sick her daughter became, the more people pitied her and gave them money. Waan wouldn’t continue this, though, due to an act caused by Yuri.

Yuri is Nannos rival. She was once an ordinary high school girl who died at the hands of Nanno. Still, when her blood was mixed with Nannos in the accident, she became an immortal being who takes after Nanno in punishing people, though her punishing methods go against Nanno’s morals.

Yuri replaced Junko’s poison with medicine to help her regain her strength. Unaware of this, Nanno tried to punish Waan in her way, but it was too late. Junko was strong enough to walk again; she was furious with her mother for stopping her from doing her hobby. After arguing, Junko kills her mother. Nanno tried to change the result of the scene, but she was stabbed and killed by Junko. This time, Nanno didn’t heal. She bled out as Yuri watched; her face was full of Joy. According to Screen Rant, “Season 2 had the chance to delve much deeper and analyze the character of Nanno and question the correctness of her complicated sense of morality. On the one hand, Nanno learned a valuable lesson at the end of season 2: showing sympathy would only lead to her death.” Nanno had given herself a job to punish those who do wrong no matter what, but after showing sympathy to people one too many times, she died once and for all.