The Yemeni Problem
The Yemeni Problem
Kingston Holcomb, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Cole Brings Plenty Dead
Jaden Meyer, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024
NorthWood Space website
TV Actress now a Tech CEO
Anthony Perez, Staff Writer • May 22, 2024

Movies Coming in 2024

Movie lovers, Tom & Summer (500 Days of Summer)

This year, 2024, a ton of sequels, threequels, and prequels are coming to the big screen, including some movies that were delayed due to the Hollywood Writer’s StrikeEven though the actors/writer’s strikes have pushed back production and releases for some films, movie lovers still have plenty of choices coming this year! 

If superhero and comic book movies are your thing, there are plenty of movies to pick from: from Madame Web, starring Dakota Johnson, to Joker: Folie à Deux, starring Joaquin Phoenix & Lady Gaga. This is also the year that long-awaited biopics about adored singers are released. Back to Black is about the life of English singer and songwriter Amy Winehouse. One Love: The Bob Marley Story is another biopic coming out about the life of Jamaican Reggae singer Bob Marley. 

Horror fans are also being fed this year, with many highly anticipated movies including the sequel A Quiet Place: Day One starring Lupita Nyong’o, Terrifier 3 featuring many more scares from Art The Clown, and Immaculate starring Euphoria actress Sydney Sweeny. Notable filmmakers are also releasing films this year, including Luca Guadagnino with Challengers starring Zendaya and Twister directed by Lee Isaac Chung starring Daisy Edgar-Jones. 

So, get ready for what will hopefully be a blockbuster year at the box office with these upcoming films!

Challengers (April 26th)

Challengers' Review: Zendaya in Luca Guadagnino's Sexy Grand Slam

Challengers directed by Luca Guadaginio is a romantic comedy sports drama starring Zendaya as Tashi, a tennis coach who trained her husband Art Donaldson (Mike Faist) to tennis greatness. After a string of losses for Art, Tashi signs him up for a challengers event against Tashi’s ex-boyfriend – and Art’s ex-best friend – Patrick (Josh O’Connor). But, it quickly becomes clear that tensions in the court stem from the tensions outside of it. 

The Full Guy (May 3rd)

Trailer - "The Fall Guy"

Barbie star Ryan Gosling returns in an action-comedy film adaptation of the 1980s series, The Fall Guy, directed by David Leitch. This film follows stuntman Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling) while he works on a film directed by his ex-girlfriend, Jody Moreno (Emily Blunt). The audience soon realizes that things don’t go smoothly once the star of the film disappears, and Colt sets off to find her.

Back to Black (May 10th)

Watch the first official teaser for Amy Winehouse biopic 'Back To Black'

Marsia Abela plays the late singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse in a biopic directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson. This film, told from the singer’s point of view, looks at her rise to fame, troubled life, and the release of her Back to Black album.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (May 24th)

‘Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga’ trailer: Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth enter George Miller’s manic ...

George Miller’s Mad Max franchise follows with Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, where Anya Taylor-Joy stars as young Imperator Furiosa (the younger version of Charlize Theron’s character). In this film, Furiosa is thrown into a biker gang led by Warlord Dementrus (Chris Hemsworth) and must find her way back home. 

Some other movies coming out May-June include Jim Davis’s franchise’s newest animated feature, Garfield coming out May 24th, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes which takes place generations after Caesar’s death in the 2017 film War for the Planet of the Apes, Hit Man coming June 7th starring Glen Powell as a Houston Police associate who disguises himself as an assassin, The Crow franchises fifth iteration starring Bill Skarsgard as a murdered musician who sets out to avenge his death comes out June 7th, and Bad Boys 4 starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence reuniting for the 4th installation in the action series.

Inside Out 2 (June 14th)

In this sequel, Maya Hawke’s Anxiety, joins Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust, as teenage Riley deals with new, complex emotions. Amy Pohler, Phyllis Smith, and Lewis Black will come back for their roles as Joy, Sadness, and Anger, while Tony Hale and Liza Lapira take over Bill Hader and Mindy Kaling’s roles of Fear and Disgust. This film has already made history, being Disney’s biggest animated trailer launch. 

Inside Out 2 | Disney Movies

A Quiet Place: Day One (June 28)

The prequel to the 2018 post-apocalyptic thriller will show the origins of the world we met the Abbott family in, where people must remain silent to hide from creatures who hunt for their prey using sound. This film stars Lupita Nyong’o as she navigates the first moments the alien invasion hits New York City. 

Everything to Know About 'A Quiet Place: Day One'

Despicable Me 4 (July 3rd)

Even though very few details have been provided regarding the film’s plot, Steve Carrell, Kristen Wiig, Pierre Coffin, Miranda Crosgrove, and Steve Coogan will return to their respective roles for the franchise’s newest chapter. 

Despicable Me 4' trailer out now: Watch here - ABC News

Deadpool 3 (July 26th) 

In the franchise’s third installment, Ryan Reynolds will return to his titular role, which sees him reunite with Hugh Jackson’s X-Men character Wolverine. This film has been voted the most anticipated film of 2024. It also marks the first Deadpool project to be produced by Walt Disney Studios after it acquired 20th Century Fox.

Deadpool 3' trailer welcomes Wolverine in Super Bowl 2024 spot

More films coming out this summer through August include, The Bikeriders, inspired by Danny Lyon’s book of photography follows a 1960s midwestern motorcycle club tracing it’s evolution into something much more sinister comes out June 21st, Twisters directed by Lee Issac Jung follows the 1996 disaster epic sharing the same name comes out July 19th, Eli Roth’s film adaptation of the video game Borderland comes out August 9th, Alien: Romulus coming out August 16th takes place in between Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), and Kraven the Hunter coming out August 30th stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson as a Russian immigrant who seeks to show that he is the best hunter in the world. 

Beetlejuice 2 (Sept. 6)

Director Tim Burton returns to follow up his 1987 cult classic Beetlejuice, with Michael Keaton returning to his role as the eccentric ghost. Winona Ryder and Catherine O’Hara also return, with Jenna Ortega joining the cast. 

The Beetlejuice 2 Trailer Just Dropped – Watch Here | Glamour UK

Joker: Folie a Deux (Oct. 4)

Lady Gaga joins Joaquin Phoenix  in the sequel to Todd Phillips’ Joker. The musical thriller features Gaga as Harley Quinn, while Phoenix returns to his role as failed comedian-turned-criminal Arthur Fleck. 

Joker: Folie à Deux (2024) - IMDb

Terrifier 3 (Oct. 25)

Art the Clown is back in the Terrifier slasher horror comedy franchise, but this time in a holiday theme installment. David Howard Horton plays the creepy clown, and Samantha Scaffidi plays the returning character Victoria Heyes, who was also in the previous two Terrifier films. 

Terrifier 3 (2024) - IMDb

Wicked Part 1 (Nov. 27)

The first part of the film adaptation of the beloved Broadway musical Wicked will be released this November. Cynthia Erivo will star as Elphaba, and Ariana Grande will star as Glinda. The rest of the cast includes Johnathon Bailey, Ethan Slater, Bowen Yang, and many others. 

Wicked: Part One' Trailer — Cynthia Erivo and Ariana Grande Come to Oz

A few other movies coming out September through November include Transformers One coming out September 13th is the newest installation of the Transformers universe, Saw XI returning for its eleventh installment on September 27th, Smile 2 the sequel of the horror sensation directed by Parker Finn releasing October 18th, Venom 3 releasing November 8th featuring returning actor Tom Hardy, Gladiator 2 coming out November 22nd starring paul Mescal as a grown version of Lucius Verus II. 

The Karate Kid (Dec. 13)

Though they are the stars of separate Karate kid films, Jackie Chan and Ralph Macchio are coming together for the franchise’s latest installment. Macchio will once again return as Daniel LaRusso, the star of the original trilogy beginning in 1984, and Chan will reprise his role as Mr.Han, the kung fu master inspired by Mr.Miyagi from the Jaden Smith 2010 remake. It is unknown if Netflix’s Cobra Kai will connect to the new film. 

Untitled Karate Kid Movie (2025) - IMDb

Mufasa: The Lion King (Dec. 20)

This prequel of the 2019 photorealistic remake will dive into the titular lion’s origin story, centering around his relationship with his brother Scar, who becomes the main villain in The Lion King. 

First 'Mufasa: The Lion King' Trailer Hits CinemaCon

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Dec. 20)

This next film of the “Sonic the Hedgehog” franchise, based on the Sega video game series, will see Ben Schwartz reprise his role as the character. Building off the success of the previous films, the latest movie is expected to expand on aspects of the video game they have yet to explore on screen. 

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Official Reveal Teaser & Movie Preview (2024) - YouTube

Nosferatu (Dec. 25)

In this film, Bill Skarsgard, who played the villainous clown Pennywise in the It franchise, takes on another terrifying monster role in Robert Eggers’ vampire story. Though this time, Skarsgard is the vampire in Nosferatu. This new take on the classic 1922 film stars Lily Rose-Depp as Ellen Hutter, who becomes the subject of the vampire’s obsession.

Nosferatu: First Footage Shows Off Bill Skarsgard as the Vampire