The National Anthem Controversy

The National Anthem Controversy

Sarah Alcoser, Staff Writer

As The Star Spangled Banner it traditional to stand as soon as it is heard playing throughout sports stadiums, high school football games, concerts, and ceremonies, representing the unity amongst US citizens and patriotic pride in the nation. However, a movement has recently taken place as San Francisco 49er Quarterback Colin Kaepernick has refused to stand, rather taking a knee to raise awareness of the Black Lives Mater Movement. Kaepernick explained: “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

Other players have joined the movement but rather raise a fist than take a knee, including the Titans’ Jason McCourty, the Eagles’ Ron Brooks, and the 49ers’ Rashard Robinson.

The movement has lead to the growing sales of Kaepernick’s jersey, the popularity amongst high school and child football teams, and growing controversy amongst society, but has it done anything to truly assist the Black Lives Matter Movement? How does kneeling for the national anthem save the lives of those discriminated against while shaming the pride of our nation? In all honesty, it has no affect. The only affect this disrespect has paid is establishing a further division of the country’s citizens and creating a growing profit for those posing to make a change and advertise their name. Additionally, as players continue to kneel during the games played on September 11th, it has become an embarrassment for America’s sake. As it is a constitutional right to voice your opinion and what you believe, dishonoring those who have risked their lives for our country and/or passed in one of our country’s  most detrimental  tragedies, places a shame in those who are meant to inspire children who look up to them.

Other athletes have decided to take an alternate route and actually do something for the cause. The Cleveland Cavaliers’  Iman Shumpert has chosen to donate money for each steal during his games to “improve the struggle between the badge and citizen”. He intends to donate the money to the affected families who lost someone due to discrimination and raise awareness, as he does not believe taking a knee is the answer. Other celebrities such as Kate Upon, Rob Lowe, and Lebron James have also expressed their idea of kneeling to be disrespectful, while several companies have rightfully terminated their contracts with kneeling athletes. Why support those who do not hold pride in their country? The national anthem is not a time to focus on your popularity or the corrupt issues of the country. It is a time to reflect on the triumphs of the past and future goals to be reached and overcome with the people as one, united together under the flag. So next time the Star Spangled Banner plays at any event, stand and take pride in the country for what it is and what it hopes to become.