The 2017 Tustin Tiller Parade

Paulina Bui, Student Writer

And so the annual Tustin Tiller Days took off without a hitch this 2017! A three day festival, taking place from October 6 – October 8, has been an annual event in the city of Tustin since 1957. These three days of non-stop fun provide an opportunity for the local organizations to raise funds and promote their cause. The first day of the event, of course, is usually the best. Filled with games and food, it was sure to be an amazing day for all in attendance . The second day held the usual festival, but with a twist. Instead of the fun festivities all day long, the morning of October 7th had students of middle schools and high schools all over the state, organizations, veterans, and floats marching down the streets of Tustin. The audience was definitely in for a treat with the amazing displays each group put on. But for the many middle schools and high schools, this was war.

Not only being a festival, Tustin Tiller Days offers a competition for middle school and high school band and auxiliary unit members. The best of the best from the bands and auxiliary units were chosen to represent their school in competition.

Our very own Santiago High School, representing CNUSD, participated in this parade on Saturday. The band, made up of over a hundred members, and Color Guard, made up of 49 girls, marched and performed from Main Street to the end of Prospect Avenue, an approximate two mile march.

Although many of the participants were older, more experienced, there were definitely some new faces in the crowds. Let’s hear from a few of the freshmen students in the band:

• Zayna Arain (Band, Flute):

Q: What are your thoughts on your first parade?

A: I felt like I did pretty good and I was really proud of all my friends and the rest of the band and Color Guard.

Q: Did you think the march was too long, too short, or just right?

A: It felt really short to me. I felt like it was gonna be much longer

• Nicole C. Gonzalez (Color Guard):

A: It was good. I did better than I thought and I wasn’t scared of performing.

A: I think it was kind of short-ish; almost just right.

Natalie Brockman (Color Guard)

A: It was nerve wracking, but really fun.

A: It was too short.

These were a few of the thoughts of the freshmen in band and Color Guard. Now, here are a few of the thoughts of the veterans on the teams:

•  Dominique Suarez (10, Color Guard)

Q: Being a veteran on the color guard team, do you think you did better or worse than your last parade?

A: Well as a vet I think I did do better than my last parade, there’s always room for improvement.

Q: Do you have any advice for the new members of Color Guard and band?

A: Well, my advice would be: don’t give up. If something’s too hard, try to find ways to make it easier for yourself, whether it be getting with a group of friends, asking a veteran to help, or asking the coaches questions. Another one is, we are all a family; once u join us, you are part of one, crazy, big family. If u don’t do as good as you would like, we won’t be mad at you. We will encourage you to keep trying. We are here for everyone no matter what it is.

•  Crystal Mendoza (12, Color Guard Captain)

Q: How did you feel about your last performance for Tustin parade, being a senior this year?

A: I felt excited, yet nervous. Excited because this is my first year on competition block for flags. I also felt nervous because I felt like I needed more run-throughs before we performed. Also, I felt a little pressure, since as captain, I felt I was almost expected and had to do well and not mess up, as I represented not only Color Guard and band, but Santiago. I’d rather not think of it as my last performance at Tustin, but as another parade. I am glad I got to be part of it and have an opportunity to perform and place with my fellow Color Guard and band family.

Q: As captain, do you have any advice for the new freshmen on the team and in band?

A: Try your hardest and put and put all your effort into what you’re passionate about. If you think the coach doesn’t notice you, then you’re wrong. I made varsity, not because I was the best or most talented, but because she knew I would work hard and was reliable. There are moments where everybody is messing around and you have a choice to practice things on your own, even if you are sure you know what you are doing, or you can mess around as well. It’s a choice and even if the coaches don’t see you, others do. Also, make friends and be open for criticism because that’s the only way you can truly get better. Breathe and don’t stress out, saying how you are nervous, because it’s only a few minutes and that’s your time to shine and show in a few short moments, the hours of work that was put in. Enjoy these times because next thing you know, you’ll be wishing you had more time, more performances, and all you want is to relive the moments that helped define and highlight your high school story.

•  Dylan Crider (12, Band, Saxophone)

Q: How did you feel about your last parade?

A: I felt great about my individual performance, but I felt like we could have done better as a whole.

Q: Any advice for new students in band and Color Guard?

A: Focus on your material, but remember to have a fun time!

New members of band and Color Guard! Take these wise words of the veterans into account and perhaps you will learn something new!

In the end, our competition teams came out triumphant! Our Drum Majors took 3rd place, while our Color Guard team took 2nd place. They also won Sweepstakes, the highest place in competition!

Our band and Color Guard teams took gold and silver at their first competition, so wish them luck at their next parade in Norwalk!