The BOSS: Norwalk Halloween Parade

Paulina Bui, Student Writer

Boo! It was an early Halloween in Norwalk on October 25, 2017 and boy, oh boy, it was definitely a party. The morning started with the competition and ended with a marvelous parade, made up of citizens from Norwalk.

Our competition block competed that early morning as well, marching with back flags for the first time this year. Marching around half a mile, they competed against Norwalk and the competing schools from rival districts.

The parade came right after, followed by the awards and a festival! As the amount of schools that attended the parade enormous, each band took their turn, marching down the streets of Norwalk. Santiago High School’s BOSS (Band of Santiago Sharks) went last, starting from Norwalk Boulevard and Mapledale Street. They marched for approximately two and a half miles, before ending at Hermosillo Park.

After the parade, the bands got to enjoy the festival. There was a wide selection of food, ranging from American food to Mexican food, along with side snacks and amazing desserts. It was a day of socializing, fun, and Halloween spirit! During the festival, awards were held and it is pleasing to say that we won 2nd place for Color Guard, 1st place for showmanship for both band and Color Guard, and Sweepstakes overall! The BOSS makes our school proud once more!

They will be marching in San Diego on Saturday, October 28, 2017 for the Mt. Carmel Band Review;  a competition against the best high school bands in the state! Wish them luck!