Gun Control: Necessary and Now

Gun Control: Necessary and Now

Zoe Liuag, Shark Story Editor

The tragedy that occurred in Parkland, Florida this past week has shaken the nation into both shock and sorrow. With the country in a state of grievance, people send their condolences to those affected—the parents, students, and administration who lost valuable individuals of their community. It goes without saying that they deserve prayers and support…and so do the victims at Murphy High School. And Marshall County High School. And Italy High School.

What do these incidents have in common? Besides the fact that all involved the intentional or unintentional shooting of a firearm, all of these events have occurred this year alone. Even worse, they’re part of an extensive list that includes thirty other mass shootings…in 2018. Eighteen instances involving firearms have transpired on a school campus. Eight have included at least one death. Still, people grieve, they get angry, and then they forget. Everybody moves on until the next shooting happens, after which the cycle repeats itself, over and over and over.

This attitude accomplishes absolutely nothing. This ability to disregard the misfortunes that have broken the heart of this country is the reason why it appears that every week, a new one arises. It’s time to re-evaluate the solutions this country is, or, rather, is failing to implement in order to counteract the inundating deaths. America should be outraged to the point of change. America should be exhausted and sickened by the fact that her children are dying on her soil by her own people. So, where do we go from here? What’s next?

If guns aren’t going to be removed completely, stricter regulations should be implemented to limit who can purchase one. Sources claim that Parkland shooter was able to legally acquire the AR-15 rifle he used to shoot upwards of thirty individuals. Keep in mind this is a semiautomatic weapon that can fire up to 800 rounds a minute, and it was legally in the hands of somebody with a history of delinquent behavior and threats. This was amongst one of the weapons used in the Las Vegas shooting back in 2017, as well as countless other mass shootings, perpetuating a theme of violence linked to these firearms. The National Rifle Association asserts that 8 million AR-15 rifles have been sold in the United States, so why is a weapon of mass destruction available so readily to the American public?

Furthermore, there’s talk of arming teachers with guns and gun-related training in order to be better prepared for such a situation, but when did it become acceptable to turn our schools into battlegrounds? Why do teachers also have to serve as soldiers, ready to engage in combat should need be? More so, why should they ever need to be? Instead, it is up to Congress and the NRA to cut off the head of the beast before more fatalities occur.

July 20, 2012. Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colorado. 12 dead.

December 2, 2015. Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California. 14 dead.

June 12, 2016. Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida. 49 dead.

October 1, 2017. Country music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada. 58 dead.

February 14, 2018. Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Orlando, Florida. 17 dead.

How many more need to die before America can wake up and realize that action leads to change? Change leads to a better tomorrow—a safer tomorrow—for our families, our friends, our nation.