Gun Control?

Gun+Control%3F

Madison Schneider, Staff Writer

Gun control?

It seems this is one of the most important topics in society at the moment.

I don’t believe that the answer to this question is either ‘no guns’ or ‘anyone can have anything’. I think that the solution to this epidemic is an option that floats in the middle of both extreme opinions.

First off, let’s go over federal gun laws and restrictions. According to federal laws (the laws placed by the central government), a background check is not required in order to purchase a firearm from a gun show or any other non-commercial vendors. There are no laws on successive gun purchases. There is no ban on assault rifles. And the most interesting of all, the federal law has no ban on concealed weapons in public.

On the other hand, California has a more strict set of regulations concerning firearms. California laws require background checks on all gun purchases. Handguns can only be bought every thirty days. In order to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon, the individual must present a legitimate reason for why they need to and must take a training course. Starting in July 2019, background checks will be required for the purchase of ammunition.

Most of the other states have slight regulations on federal law, but still keep it close to the original. Some states have chosen to loosen gun regulations even more. For example, in Iowa, visually impaired individuals can purchase firearms. In Colorado, Idaho, and Utah, students and visitors are allowed on college campuses with firearms. In Florida, there are no restrictions on the purchases of assault rifles or magazine capacity.

We don’t need to take away all regulations on guns for the ‘safety’ of America. But, we really don’t need to take away the guns of honest citizens, which leaves only non-registered firearms.

What we need is to put laws in place that make logical sense. Between January 1, 2018 and February 15, 2018, there were 28 mass shootings. Only one was in California. The others were all in states with the least amount of restrictions. Taking away guns completely would only cause chaos.