Insect Theft?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Insect Theft?

Sara Alsheikh, Staff Writer

When most people think of theft, they picture money, clothing, or jewelry being stolen from cars, homes, or stores. Some may refer to these as conventional examples of theft. However, a group of thieves in Philadelphia favored an unconventional target: an insectarium.

Over the course of four days, 7,000 insects, spiders, and lizards were stolen from the Philadelphia Insectarium and Butterfly Pavilion. That is more than 80% of the museum’s creatures. The Insectarium was forced to shut down two of its three floors and although a tarantula was recovered, the majority of the stolen creatures have yet to be recovered and documented. 

Security footage captured employees loading boxes into their own vehicles and removing other boxes through a fire escape. The surprising footage was found, consisting of a museum director capturing a tarantula into a container and simply walking away. The owner of the museum, John Cambridge, strongly believes that this theft was an inside job, although no suspects have been detained and no charges have been filed. Cambridge also mentioned that the only reason the staff didn’t pay attention to the missing insects and reptiles, in the beginning, was because “movement of creatures throughout the facility is quite common”.  

Many people question the motive of stealing insects of all things; however, the market for exotic pets, including insects, is on an upward rate of growth. The police have reported that the heist of the creatures is estimated to be worth $30,000 to $50,000.  

Cambridge hopes that some of the creatures have been sold because he is afraid they will all die. Despite this atrocity, Cambridge is not discouraged and is adamant that they will come back stronger especially since they’ve acquired thousands of new insects and are awaiting a grand opening in November. 

About the Writer
Sara Alsheikh, Staff Writer

Sara Alsheikh (12) is the secretary for BSU on campus and so glad to finally be a senior and writer for Shark Attack. You can find her eating (all the...

1 Comment

One Response to “Insect Theft?”

1. Phoebe Reiter on October 28th, 2018 3:47 pm

It’s almost funny that insects got stolen, given how unusual that is. Hopefully the insects have been recovered by now, or at least sold to a caring buyer. I wonder how long it took them to get all of the insects, it must’ve taken a lot of time and expertise to catch the thousands of bugs and lizards.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Insect Theft?

National News

License Plates Recalled for Racism

• Insect Theft?

National News

The 2018 Midterm Elections

• Insect Theft?

National News

The Aftermath of Hurricane Michael

• Insect Theft?

National News

The Trump Administration’s Attempt to Redefine Gender

• Insect Theft?

National News

James Mattis Seeks Resilient U.S. Ties with China’s Military

• Insect Theft?

National News

Migrant Caravan Approaches the United States

• Insect Theft?

National News

Ten Children Dead and More Infected at Health Center

• Insect Theft?

National News

U.S. Military’s Close Calls With China and Russia

• Insect Theft?

National News

Elon Musk: History in The Making

• Insect Theft?

National News

Kanye West Goes Public With His Political Views

Insect Theft?