The Trump Administration’s Attempt to Redefine Gender

Lauren Bulanek, Op/Ed Editor

There is a common misconception around what gender and sex is; people often interchange them, however, they’re actually two very different things. Sex is defined as one of the two main categories into which humans and many other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive systems. On the other hand, gender is defined as the state of being male or female with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. To put it simply, though they both define the categories a person falls in, sex is biological and gender is social and cultural.

Despite the difference in gender and sex, the Trump administration is attempting to define gender the same way sex is – on a biological basis. This means a person would not be able to change the sex they were given at birth based on their reproductive systems. This redefinition of gender would remove the government recognition and protections of transgender people and gender non-conforming people under the federal civil rights law, according to the New York Times.

Under the Obama administration, the legal concept of gender in federal programs was loosened due to a series of decisions. Some of these federal programs include education and health care. The Obama administration recognized gender as an individual’s choice, not the sex assigned at birth. Since the Obama administration’s decisions regarding gender, there have been debates over bathrooms, dormitories, single-sex programs, and other areas where gender was just one concept.

A memo obtained by the New York Times found that the Department of Health and Human Services is attempting to establish a legal definition of sex under Title IX. Title IX states that “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Title IX comes from the Education Amendments of 1972 and is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR).
If a legal definition of sex under Title IX is passed, gender would be determined on the same basis sex is – a biological one. This would define gender as either male or female, unchangeable, and purely determined by a reproductive system. If there is a dispute about a person’s sex, it would need to be clarified by genetic testing.

About the Writer
Lauren Bulanek, Op/Ed Editor and Shark Story Editor

Lauren Bulanek (12) is a second year journalist student and a staff writer. She is a passionate photographer and has created numerous photography projects...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Trump Administration’s Attempt to Redefine Gender”

1. Cheyenne Singleton on November 12th, 2018 5:32 pm

I strongly agree with your statement made in your introductory paragraph regarding the true definition of gender and sex and associating them with a community or environment they are associated with. Stating the fact that “though they both define the categories a person falls in, sex is biological and gender is social and cultural” you present an easy explanation to such a controversial chaotic topic in society today. Breaking down topics that seem to cause society much confusion is the start of educating people and eventually more educated outcomes in situations and circumstances that arise dealing with the various point of views and interpretations of both gender and sex.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Trump Administration’s Attempt to Redefine Gender

News

Palm Springs Pride in Times of Polarization

News

The 2018 Midterm Elections

News

How Much do Social Media Influencers Really Make?

News

The Aftermath of Hurricane Michael

News

YouTube Shutdown: Frustration and Conspiracy

News

Saudi Journalist Jamal Khashoggi Murdered

News

James Mattis Seeks Resilient U.S. Ties with China’s Military

News

Migrant Caravan Approaches the United States

News

Wildfire Fears Leave 60,000 without Power

News

Child Suicide Rates in Japan Are Rising