USC Football Coaching Changes

Sierra Flessel, Staff Writer

The mighty Trojan football team, the pride of Los Angeles, has just endured a losing season with a record of five wins and seven losses.

With freshman JT Daniels at the head of the team, the season’s outcome was clouded with controversy. The team’s head coach, Clay Helton, was highly criticized throughout the season, especially after losing to five un-ranked teams. The nail in the coffin came when USC traveled to the Rose Bowl to square off against their crosstown rivals, the UCLA Bruins. The game is usually competitive, but for the past six years, USC has claimed the Victory Bell, for a win.

The game was back and forth throughout the four quarters of playing time. The closing minutes came down to critical passes that had to be caught. The final play of the game came down to JT Daniels airing the ball out and being caught by a Bruin. Every USC fan in the stadium was shocked and horrified at the outcome of the game. While exiting the game, USC fans could be seen and heard yelling profanities at the team as they trudged into the locker room.

Immediately after the game, the media erupted and the main topic of discussion was Clay Helton’s job security. In the post-game interview, Helton refused to answer any questions about the topic.

The Trojans answered back and began their game against Notre Dame (ranked 3rd) giving them a hard time in proving that they deserved to remain at the number three spot. Ultimately, the game ended in a loss for Trojans with a score of 24-17. This loss solidified USC’s ineligibility for a Bowl game and is their worst finish in 18 years. In the weeks following the season closer game, Helton fired the defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, and the defensive backs coach. The replacement for the offensive coordinator is Kliff Kingsbury, a well known and successful coach from Texas Tech. Helton hopes Kingsbury will be able to energize the team next year to be able to return to the traditional ways of Trojan football.