University of California plans to reopen for in-person classes this Fall

Alexis Witkowski, Op/Ed Editor

Since the tumult of the CoronaVirus in March, the 10-campus-system has been predominantly holding online classes. As of recently, the 10 UC Chancellors have made the executive decision to return to an on-campus model. Starting dates and safety protocols for this return will be announced by the individual universities in consultation with public health agencies to ensure a safe return for students by following local and state guidelines.

The UC President Micheal Drake states that “as the university continues to monitor the evolution of the pandemic, we are also carefully planning a safe return to in-person classes”. With the COVID vaccine on the horizon, Drake expresses that “current forecasters give us hope that in the fall, our students can enjoy a more normal on-campus experience.”

For the remainder of the spring semester, classes will stay remote, with the exception of a few in-person or hybrid options for selected classes. The UCLA vice chancellor Emily Carter confirmed the continuance of virtual learning with a message to students. Carter acknowledges that “change will not happen overnight” and “at present, the risks posed by the virus remain. In Los Angeles County, the latest surge in cases is straining our region’s hospitals, including UCLA’s. The UCLA community must continue to do its part to reduce the risk of transmission by limiting the number of people on campus.” 

As of now, it is unknown whether the CoronaVirus vaccine will be mandatory for the university’s staff and students. As well as what the future of sports programs will look like at the University of California campuses. The universities are working hard to plan for a return so that students back into the dorms and classrooms by August of this year. Regardless, the Chancellor confirms that they will continue to “prioritize the health and well-being of the University community”.