Peyton Waddell

Peyton+Waddell

Kate O'Reilly, Staff Writer

Peyton Waddell is a very determined and hardworking student here at Santiago High School. Other than her driven motivation in her academics and academic achievements she is very successful in her extracurricular activities as well. She is also involved in our school newspaper and I had the opportunity to sit down with her and ask her some questions about who she is and what makes her Peyton Waddell.

Peyton is the youngest of three; her oldest brother is Grayson(21) and her older sister is Riley(18). She is 16 and a junior. Patches is her adorable dog whom she refers to as her “pride and joy”.

Coming into High School did you have friends you stayed close to or did you make new friends?

“I think I am still closer to those I came into High School with but I still made a lot of good friends and friendships”

Favorite year of High School so far?

“This year, because I got to come back to school full time for the first time since Covid.” Peyton was in the last semester of her freshman year when the lockdown from Covid happened, so this year she finally got a full year of high school. 

What is your goal for this year?

“To finish with a good grade in pre-cal and to pass the AP Lang test with at least a 4.”

She was the co-captain of the varsity water polo team this past season and she has been playing for the varsity team since her freshman year. While playing on her team they won the league twice. She has played water polo for four years now.

Her favorite thing to do and favorite way to spend her free time is going to the beach and watching the sunset and along with taking naps

What do you want to do for a job or career in the future?

“I am thinking of going into something with physical therapy “.

Her advice for other High Schoolers:

“If you need help, ask questions right away before you get behind. If it’s a class or subject you know you’re going to struggle in, get a tutor. It’s not embarrassing.”

The best advice she has been given:

“Take online classes to get some credits out of the way so you have more time for other classes that can help you with what you’re interested in for going into college.”

What have you struggled with that you have been able to overcome?

“I struggled with math but I’ve learned that getting extra help and redoing problems helps me. I still struggle with it and it’s not my strong suit but I know what helps me”.

How she balances her academics and sports: “Whenever I have free time in class I do homework and after practice, I would get home and try to do homework before anything else”

Peyton is looking forward to her senior year, her last year of high school.

“I am really excited because I will have an early release every day.”

Although not completely sure where to attend college she plans on attending a four-year university. Peyton is a hardworking and dedicated student. A successful academic and competitive athlete. Peyton Waddell is one of many great sharks on campus and off-campus.