Albuquerque Suspends Carry of Firearms

Governor calls for a 30 day suspension of all public carrying of firearms in Albuquerque and surrounding areas.
Albuquerque Suspends Carry of Firearms

On September 8th, the New Mexican Michelle Lujan Grisham governor ordered a 30-day suspension on all open and concealed carry of firearms in Albuquerque and the surrounding suburbs. She decided on this after a few shootings, including the death of an 11-year-old boy outside of a baseball stadium a week prior. Police Chief Harold Medina has since stated that he will not enforce this. Another police official says he feels unsure about the whole thing as it impedes constitutional rights. This raises a significant controversy on our 2nd amendment rights, which has launched protests.

The protestors have been seen flaunting their firearms with signs against the suspension. This clearly showed that the break was not being taken seriously and even caused accusations of constitutional infringement. Democrats are even calling out Grisham for her actions, saying she can make a much different approach to the situation rather than an outright suspension. On the other side, Republicans are calling for an impeachment of the Governor, but none of this has changed her opinion.

Many citizens are worried by the suspension and want their guns, as many shootings have happened recently, causing people to want to defend themselves against these assailants. Law enforcement in the area is just as concerned as the Governor regarding gun violence but does not agree with how she handles it.

Second Amendment Protest in response to Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s recent public health order

This has caused a judge to block Grisham’s call for a suspension of carrying firearms. The judge feels that this suspension has caused a massive rise in concerns about constitutional infringements and doesn’t even blame the Governor for making this call. Still, his job is to decide how this affects the Constitution. Lawyers have told the judge that the Governor had many choices but instead went to the extreme and suspended the carrying of firearms anyway. Many people in today’s society already have a lot of hate toward public, state, and government officials, which has only amplified it more. In recent years, we’ve seen much higher tensions between Democrats and Republicans.

A democratic governor suspending 2nd amendment rights has caused a lot of anger toward the democratic party due to one person’s call. Republicans take pride in their constitutional rights and have not treated this topic lightly. Now that people on both sides of the political spectrum have seen that this probably wasn’t the best idea. In the future, this will hopefully give more insight into what to do in these tough patches when gun violence sees another rise and how to approach it properly without causing another major uproar among the people.

6
View Comments (6)
$500
$600