The Xylazine Epidemic

Xylazine is spreading rapidly through illegal drugs all across America
The Xylazine Epidemic

In the past years, there has been a massive rise in illicit narcotics being laced with Fentanyl. Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is deadly in even the tiniest doses and has even claimed the lives of people in our community.

Recently, however, a new drug has hit the street called Xylazine, nicknamed “Tranq.” Xylazine is a veterinary anesthetic, not approved for human consumption, but has found its way into addicts’ drugs all around the country today. The state that Xylazine puts people is frequently compared to death, as when consumed, the person becomes incoherent, unconscious, and highly vulnerable. On top of this, Xylazine is usually mixed with Fentanyl into another opioid to enhance the already dangerous effects even when not laced.

Mixing these two deadly narcotics can cause a lethal overdose in minutes, depending on the potency, amount, and drug being laced. On the streets today, opioids are one of the most used drugs and some of the most addictive drugs. Opioids are a group of drugs used medically and illegally, including heroin(no medical use), morphine, Fentanyl, oxycontin, hydrocodone, and codeine, just to name a few. These are the prime targets for being laced, but other laced drugs, which can be pretty much anything, include cocaine, methamphetamine, and benzodiazepines.

The most extensive use of Xylazine has been found in Philadelphia, with over 90% of narcotics having traces of it. Tranq has accounted for over a third of 1,276 accidental overdose deaths in Philadelphia in 2021, beyond Philly. Xylazine has been found by the DEA(Drug Enforcement Association) in 48 states. The main difference between Xylazine and other drugs is that it leaves severe wounds on the body and can even lead to untreated amputation.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/05/26/xylazine-what-to-know-about-the-flesh-eating-zombie-drug-spreading-from-the-us-to-europe Wounds left by the use of Xylazine

Unfortunately, when someone overdoses on Xylazine, Narcan(Naloxone) does not reverse the effects as it is not an opioid but can lessen the symptoms. If you want to change the effects of Xylazine, you have to be administered Tolazine, but unfortunately, it is not approved for the public.

It is hard to tell the difference between Fentanyl and Xylazine, so some people might use Narcan on an overdose that is not an opioid. Signs of a Xylazine overdose are sedation, difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, low heart rate, and wounds. Fentanyl overdoses have the same symptoms, but the main difference is Fentanyl doesn’t leave wounds on the skin. The best way to deal with an overdose of any kind is to call the police immediately and wait for emergency services. Sadly, this war does not seem to end anytime soon as Xylazine is on the rise, and deaths are only going up as the years go by. In one year, 107,735 Americans died from this horrible drug that shows no mercy on users.Philadelphia's zombie drug 'tranq' already in NYC | PIX11

People under the influence of Xylazine in New York City (https://pix11.com/news/local-news/philadelphias-zombie-drug-tranq-already-in-nyc-drug-supply/)

This drug turns people into zombies, but once you start, it’s hard to stop as the withdrawals are one of the most horrific ones a person can suffer. Withdrawals keep people with an addiction from stopping, as sometimes it can be so bad that the user will have a seizure. Young people are getting hooked on this vial of dirty drugs, but they are just left to fend for themselves, becoming another statistic.