Is the Election Over for Trump?

Everybody knows who Donald Trump is, and many people hate/love him. Whether we hate him or not, Donald Trump has done many things to be known for. But as of recently, most known for getting arrested, will this interfere with his attempt for a presidential career again?

A federal grand jury indicted President Donald Trump about his attempt to overturn 2020 results. Court documents followed his indictment. Donald Trump’s charges were unsealed two weeks after he said that he learned a federal grand jury would indict him to investigate the siege of the U.S. Capitol. Therefore, it followed with a charge of conspiracy to defraud the U.S. and tampering against the rights of citizens, as well as obstruction and attempt to obstruct official proceedings. Donald Trump’s charges were unsealed two weeks after President Biden said a federal grand jury might indict him to investigate the siege; talk about unfairness, right? The former president has to take part in someone else’s wrongdoing. According to npr.org, loyal Trump protesters stormed the Capitol to prevent Vice President Mike Pence from certifying the presidential election in favor of Joe Biden. 

Even with so many problems on his back, Donald Trump denies these allegations. Let’s break this down a bit: the case centered on Trump arranging for his former lawyer, Michael Cohen, to pay women $130,000 to Daniels and $150,000 to McDougal to silence them from their claims. According to usatoday.com, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg brought the case, and Trump pleaded not guilty to dozens of counts against him in April. Had he been guilty, he would have faced four years in prison. Four years doesn’t sound like much, but he would be missing for the next election. In June, he was also indicted on 37 more felony counts. These counts consisted of allegedly storing hundreds of classified documents at his estate in Florida after his term in the White House. These charges include the retention of national defense info that violated the Espionage Act.

Soon after, Trump was arrested, and then again, he did not plead guilty to the counts in Florida. Since Trump pleaded not guilty, Special Counsel Jack Smith was appointed to oversee this investigation. Shortly after being brought to the probe, he brought three more charges against Trump as a “superseding indictment” in July. Smith caught Donald Trump trying to destroy security footage in a room where boxes of classified info were stored. Does this not sound fishy enough? Things are looking bad for Donald Trump because these charges will pile up to a total of up to 20 years in prison. The maximum for the charges is also up to 55 years. As of recently, Trump pleaded not guilty in a court filing last month and avoided a scheduled hearing. There is more to come, but that is all.