Antisemitism Deserves No Rights on School Grounds

WARNING!! Discretion Advised, quotes, and the topic of this article is HARSH.

Recently, before a terrible incident occurred on the grounds of Cornell University, universities were a priority for learning diversity. Universities gather diverse students worldwide to gain knowledge and challenge themselves. One disgusting thing that we strongly dislike is discrimination; it is highly frowned upon. Discrimination imbalances the safe environment that universities provide for their students. Cornell University reminds us that things can sometimes happen, and those who cross far over the line should be punished. Patrick Dai is why we should be more aware of antisemitism.

According to APNews.com, “Cornell University has canceled classes on Friday after a student was charged with making online antisemitic threats against Jewish people on campus.” Can you believe this? The world is already troubled by the war with Russia, Ukraine, Palestine, and Israel. APNews also says, “One of the posts was titled “gonna shoot up 104 west,” a dining hall at Cornell that caters to kosher diets and is next to the school’s Jewish center, authorities said. He also threatened to bring a rifle to campus to shoot Jewish people.” Many were shocked by what he said as this incident sent shockwaves to everyone; he would be punished for his actions! Patrick is messed up to

a different level; something is genuinely wrong with him. It is disgusting how he thought this was a good idea.

Thanks to nationalreview.com, they gave us deeper information about this disappointing incident. According to nationalreview.com, “If you see a Jewish ‘person’ on campus, follow them home and slit their throats. Rats need to be exterminated from Cornell,” wrote Dai in another message.” Yes, that’s right, he said this without hesitation. The thing with modern society is that people want to claim, “Oh, but it’s only a joke!!” we know very well that is a lie because, deep down, they bury a form of hatred that grows and grows. This is very aggravating to see because here in the United States, we have peace and freedom; we shouldn’t bring problems from countries outside of the United States to threaten citizens. Not to say that the Israel-Hamas war is not essential, but is threatening others going to solve the war? No.

Also, nationalreview.com says, “Dai was detained on a federal criminal complaint that charged him with threatening to kill or injure another individual using interstate communications, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New York said in a statement. Dai could face a five-year prison sentence and a fine of up to $250,000 if convicted.” He should very well be convicted; it is what he deserves for what he said. Patrick’s actions should not be ignored but should set an example for others who take things too far. Antisemitism has no right on any school grounds ever. The students and staff of schools should work together to confront those with malicious intent. Thus, as people move forward, we have to strive to be better and achieve a future where everyone is safe and valued.