Kansas City Parade Shooting

Kansas City Parade Shooting

One person is dead, and at least 20 others were injured after shots were fired at the end of the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl victory parade and rally in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, on Wednesday, February 14.

Suspects opened fire on the crowd near Union Station, where the parade concluded, and a rally was being held to celebrate the team and the city. The Chiefs players, coaches, staff members, and their families were unharmed in the chaos. 

Police said Thursday that two people, both juveniles, are in custody in connection with the shooting and have not released their identities. 

Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl parade shooting news

The ambulance is guarding the shooting.

Officials have said that they do not believe terrorism was the motive and that the shooting was the result of a “dispute between several people.”

The person who was fatally shot was identified as Lisa Lopez-Galvan, a famous local radio DJ who was attending the celebration with her son, a fan of the Chiefs. Her sister confirmed her death to NBC News. 

Three people remained in critical condition Thursday. Children’s Mercy Hospital said it treated several children, ages 6 to 15, nine of whom had gunshot wounds. All are expected to recover. 

Chiefs stars Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce said they are “praying” for Kansas City and are “heartbroken” over the tragedy. 

A witness described fleeing the Kansas City shooting that took place at the Chiefs’ victory parade. Bridget Barton showed the backpack she was wearing at the time of the shooting and explained that it saved her from the backfire of bullets.

Andy Reid, the head coach who drove the Kansas City Chiefs to victory at the Super Bowl over the weekend, helped console a teenager who appeared distressed after shots rang out near Union Station yesterday, according to a new report in the Kansas City Star.

Kansas City shooting: Two teens charged as children released from hospital | The Independent

Lisa Lopez-Galvan

Gabe Wallace told the newspaper that he heard gunshots — “boom, boom, like real quick” – and then ran for cover. He tried to clamber over a barricade, but his foot got stuck, and his face hit the concrete. When he got up, a security guard pointed him inside Union Station. Reid, who had just spoken on a stage outside, saw Wallace and tried to offer solace.

“Andy Reid was trying to comfort me, which was nice,” the high school student told the newspaper, his voice breaking and eyes welling up with tears. “He hugged me, like, ‘Are you OK, man? Are you OK? Please breathe.’ He was being nice and everything.”

Reid eventually checked on other people, said Wallace, who declined an NBC News interview request. Inside the station, he grew increasingly worried that his friends who joined him at the parade had been shot dead. It would be another half hour before Wallace and his friend Hank Hunter reunited outside on what would have been the parade route’s last stop.

Children’s Mercy Hospital received 12 patients from the rally, 11 of whom are children ranging from 6 to 15 years old, and nine of the children had been shot, a spokesperson for the Kansas City hospital said.

All the victims are expected to recover, the spokesperson said. Three are still being treated at the hospital, and all others have been released.

Police had earlier said the age range of the victims began at eight years old. The reason for the discrepancy between the police and the hospital is unclear.      

1
View Comments (1)
$500
$600