Deputy’s Body Camera Captures Response to Tragic Crash Saving Lives in Critical Moments

On the evening of February 8th at approximately 7:30 p.m., Englewood, Florida, was enveloped in a tragic accident on a state highway. Charlotte County Deputy Sgt. Dave Musgrove was traveling on the SR 776 highway when a motorcycle flew past him at over 100 mph. 

According to the sheriff’s office in a news release, the deputy captured a streak of light before the motorcycle bashed into a car with three passengers inside. The deputy immediately stops his vehicle and locates the driverless mangled motorcycle, which spun off to the side of the freeway. The biker was nowhere to be found, and the hit vehicle began to erupt with a child’s screams. 

Deputy Musgrove began to inspect the scene closely, witnessing the aftermath of both vehicles. Later, the biker had been ejected and piled into the side of the mutilated car. Inside the vehicle was a mother, Foley, and her 6th-month-old daughter, Lola, as well as her 3-year-old daughter, who is unnamed to the press. The biker’s body had been crammed onto the child, forcing the deputy to have to pull the body from the car first. 

As stated in the official release, the County Deputy became the sole law enforcement officer present at the scene. Remarkably, Musgrove’s body camera recorded the unfolding events, capturing every action he took to de-escalate the situation. According to the body cam, no other officers were involved in this collision. 

Viewer discretion is advised as the following video contains content that may disturb some.

Below is the official body cam footage, the individuals are blurred for privacy but the sound remains clear. 

BODY CAM FOOTAGE 

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED

In this video, Officer Mosgrove puts on his lights and pulls over in front of the smoking motorcycle. He approaches the scene quickly as children’s screams pour from the inside. Along with the child, the mother of the two children is panicked as hysteria is setting in. 

Mosgrove showers the family with phrases such as, “It’s going to be alright,” and “I’m going to get you guys out of there.” He circles to the other side of the car to the 3-year-old. The mother, Foley, continues to scream, “My baby!”

Pulling out the 3-year-old from the side of the car, he runs across the highway to hand her to a passerby after flagging him down. “Come here, sweetheart,” the deputy urges as she pulls out of her car seat.

Returning to the car, he expects to pull out the mother from the car next, only to come to the horrible reality of another child in the back.  “No, my baby!” The mother hisses at the officer as he tries to help. Mosgrove later states that he did not see a baby. 

Under the dead body of the biker was Lola, a 6th-month-old who was trapped in her car seat. “No, my baby!” The mother repeats as Mosgrove releases Lola from under the biker and car seat. Lola is unmoving in the car seat. 

With no pulse, the deputy starts CPR on the 6th month old. The mother is held back, kicking and screaming, while he performs the lifesaving ritual. 

“I lost my fiance six months ago, and what was running through my head was that I can’t lose anyone else.” The mother later states the news. 

“I just heard her breathe,” Mosgrove exasperatingly yells, continuing the CPR. Lola is brought back to life and takes a crucial breath. Later, with the aid of EMTs, they detect a pulse on her arrival. 

The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) shared more than a 4-minute video of Musgrove’s heroic actions online, which went viral on social media and was reshared numerous times. Colin Rugg, co-owner of the Trending Politics news website, was one of the social media users who shared the clip, which quickly went viral on Sunday. The video reached 350k views and 4k likes in just a few hours.