Inside the Chilling Investigation of Maleesa Mooneys Murder

The L.A. Police Department said that a Minnesota man has been arrested in connection with the alleged murder of the rising model, whose body was discovered inside her apartment refrigerator in downtown Los Angeles last year.  

Who was Maleesa Mooney?

According to Mooney’s relatives, she was a real estate agent and aspiring model who had recently moved into her fifth-floor apartment at the prestigious Skye at Bunker Hill Complex in early August. She would have turned 32 on October 16th. 

Mooney’s sister, singer Jordan Pauline, recognized her as “a peacemaker in our family,” telling KTLA that “Mooney has always been the backbone, making sure everyone gets together and loves each other. So we’ve lost a significant portion of ourselves.”  

Pauline said Mooney was two months pregnant at the time of her death and had always wanted to be a mother, but the autopsy revealed that there were no signs of pregnancy.     

At 31, she was found dead on September 12th after suffering blunt force injuries to her arms, torso, and head; according to the medical examiner’s report, “homicidal violence” was listed as the cause of death.  

Mooney had her wrists and ankles shackled together, with “miscellaneous electronic cords and clothing items” tying the binds to one another behind her back. Stuffed in her mouth was a gag made out of an item of clothing. Her system had traces of alcohol and cocaine, according to toxicology tests.

The Investigation: 

Mooney was expected to travel to her former apartment on September 9th to pick up some possessions but did not show up. Her sister called the police on September 10th to request a welfare check; according to the report, LAPD officers knocked on the door but there was no answer, and they did not enter her apartment since they saw no signs of “nefarious activity.” On September 12th, however, in response to another call from Mooney’s mother, officers asked the building manager to let them into her apartment. According to the report, the cops opened the refrigerator door and discovered Mooney’s body after noticing items, “usually kept in the refrigerator” on the counter. Blood was pooled underneath her and the bottom of the fridge.  

According to authorities, surveillance footage from the apartment building shows an unidentified male taking plastic bags to her room after using her key FOB to access the building’s elevator.

Nearly six months later, the LAPD thinks they have identified her killer: Hopkins, Minnesota resident Magnus Daniel Humphrey, 41, who was detained on an “unrelated federal warrant” and is currently on federal prohibition for narcotics charges, according to the police. 

“Ms. Mooney opened her home to this individual with trust but was repaid with torture and murder.” said district attorney Gascón. “The heinous disregard for Ms. Mooney’s life will not go unpunished.” 

Authorities would not disclose how or why they discovered Humphrey during his stay at Mooney’s apartment. The victim’s family claimed to be unaware of any relationship between Mooney and Humphrey. 

The Aftermath: 

Humphrey appeared in court for the first time in Los Angeles on a Thursday morning, entering a not-guilty plea to accusations of torturing and murdering Mooney. After the hearing, a lady identifying as Mooney’s aunt told reporters outside the courthouse, “We are very pleased that an arrest was made. We are full of so many different emotions. We are very grateful and thankful that he was caught. Please continue to pray for our family. We just want justice for my niece.”      

Humphrey’s next court date is set for March 7, and until then, he must stay behind bars without being granted bail. Humphrey faces a possible sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.