R.T.B.I. Presents a Blast to the Past

The Right to be Informed, also known as R.T.B.I., is a freshmen honors program, with the exception of a few sophomores, that allows students to inhabit the past. R.T.B.I. will be performing their first historical fiction play of the year. The production is expected to debut on Feb. 14, 2014, but an official date has not yet been set.

The play, supervised by history teacher, Timothy Tuttle, will consist of three separate, unrelated acts. The acts are history related, depicting scenes from the Industrial Revolution and World War 1. Each act is estimated to be 5-10 minutes long, in addition to a three minute narrative. A still image will be projected onto a screen, and actors will pose in front of the screen in the positions of the persons shown in the projection. When the act begins, actors will bring their characters to life and start to move around as they act out their chosen scenario.

The acts are supposed to be as historically accurate as possible. Before even beginning to plan the scenes or write their scripts, the students of R.T.B.I. had to do extensive research on both the Industrial Revolution and World War 1.

“The production is a great way to reenact history and understand it better,” commented R.T.B.I. student Emma Cicio (9).

After spending approximately three months working on this project, the students are anticipating the upcoming date. They are expected to write, rehearse, and memorize their acts before the performance.

“It’s a challenging task, but with teamwork, it’s enjoyable,” said Karina Tursunalieva (9).

A few classes consisting mainly of sophomores will be invited to attend the production, although it is unknown which classes will be invited.

There is a possibility of a second production being made later in the school year, but nothing has been made official.